We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland 2 day itinerary

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Scotland 2 day itinerary

My husband and I are driving from the Lakes District in England to Scotland and are working on a 2-day itinerary. We'll arrive late in the day on Wednesday and need to be in Edinburgh by 6:00 pm on Friday. We have three definites: (1) St. Andrew's golf course (to view, not to play), (2) a castle (thinking about Stirling because it's nearby and top-rated, and (3) the rugged beauty of Scotland (I would love to visit the coast if it fits into our schedule). We've already done Edinburgh. Any suggestions on an itinerary? Also looking for lodging recommendations for Wednesday and Thursday nights. Thanks for your advice!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland 2 day itinerary

Hi. You don't have long. My suggestion would be to head for Fife. Head to St Andrews- it has a castle too. Spend the night and view the gold course in the morning. Then head to Falkland Palace if a palace interests you (it's great!). Then aim to head back to St Andrews or nearby for another night. Use you last day to drive around the East Neuk of Fife to enjoy the coast on your way back to Edinburgh.

Abs :)

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,940 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland 2 day itinerary

As Abs says - St.Andrews! Castle (with dungeons) ruined cathedral, golf course and coast all in one fell swoop. Of course its only giving you a taste of Scotland but as you have been before I'm sure you realise that.

You don't say what time of year?

I haven't stayed here but family have and it comes highly recommended

http://www.castlemount.net/

You will find that a lot of B & Bs in St.Andrews do NOT do one night stays, especially in high season. This B & B is right beside the Castle and is a short five minute walk into town.

Falkland and the East Neuk fishing villages (Crail, Anstruther, Pittenweem, Elie and St. Monans) will also satisfy your interests as Abs says

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ustours/…

Regards

Woody x

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,940 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland 2 day itinerary

I think for "rugged" coast you would have to head further north and west but that's a lot of travelling in the time you have available

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland 2 day itinerary

Thank you all so much for your recommendations. Turns out St. Andrews has a Pro Am golf tournament this week, so B&B's are booked up. I just found a B&B in Arbroath, so that may be our final destination. I'll contact Castle Mount but I'll be surprised if that works out. I appreciate the input regarding the castle and the info on Fife. I had found some walks in Fife on the internet and that falls in with your recommendations. Again, appreciate your help!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland 2 day itinerary

You may find accommodation in one of the East Neuk villages, south of St Andrews. And definitely don't forget to visit Falkland Palace. Good calls.

Two possible routes to Edinburgh, both taking you though the hills and minimising motorway travel:

M6/M74 towards Glasgow, but turn off at Moffat and take the A701 to Edinburgh

M6 to Carlisle then the A7 via Langholm and Hawick to Edinburgh.

There are plenty walks, all standards in any area you visit, listed on WalkHighlands http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fife-stirling/ - covers the whole of Scotland, not just the Highlands.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,940 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland 2 day itinerary

I don't think you need to be as far out as Arbroath from St.Andrews. Check out accommodation in the likes of Cupar, Ceres, Craigrothie, Chance Inn, Blebo Craigs and the East Neuk villages like Crail, Anstruther, St. Monans, Elie.

Good luck

Woody x

7. Re: Scotland 2 day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:21