We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whisky Tour

Sydney
Level Contributor
149 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Whisky Tour

Hello,

I will staying with family who recently moved to Elgin.

Firstly

1) How do you arrange a whisky tour - do you just turn up or d you catch a coach and do several distilleries in a day?

2) Where is recommended in that area.

Glemorangine is a must do, I love the Nectar D'Or. I also like Belvenie. Im not a fan of peat or smoky whisky.

Thank you

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whisky Tour

I did a google search, here are a couple sites. The first doesn't list as many distilleries, but it has some info.. The second lists dozens in Speyside, but no add'l info as far as I could see. At least you can see what's close to Elgin and then I'd check each distillery for tour hours. If you search for tours, you'll find them.

Some distilleries won't have tours, most do I think. Some are free, some have a nominal cost, say 5 GBP. Some you just show up, some you have to make appointments. Some, like Balvanie offer conniesour (sorry, sp?) tours that are a lot more expensive, but more extensive. I personally toured Glenfiddich, which was free and Oban which was 5 gbp, or so. I've heard that Glenlivet and Glenfarclas are really nice tours. They all have the same distilling process, but most have some uniqueness that they pitch.

I love the Glenmorangie and Balvanie Doublewood the best. Have a bottle of each I'm working on.

Also I'd suggest you search out a good pub in the area. I found that was the best way to explore many expressions without driving. A knowlegable barkeep is great. If you are in Edinburgh, the Bow Bar is excellent. There are a good others around Dufftown/Aberlour, I just can't recall the names at the moment.

www.scotlandwhisky.com/distilleries/speyside/

www.maltmadness.com/whisky/map/Scotland/

This Maltmadness site is great!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,931 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whisky Tour

Defintiely a good pub with a range of whiskeys is the answer. You will want to go on one tour, maybe two but you will spend a lot of time seeing the manufacturing process and get a very tiny tot at the end.

But find a pub with shelves of good whiskeys and a bar stool with arms and a back and sample your way along.

Depending on how long you are staying you might find this interesting www.scotlandwhisky.com/whisky-festivals/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whisky Tour

hi Dreamer. There are 11 distilleries in the area which are open to visitors. Many, you can just visit and do the next tour, some you have to book in advance. The BEST tour at any distillery anywhere, is the Balvenie. It includes their malting floor, warehouses, the whole production process and most importantly, they are the only distillery tour which takes in the fascinating cooperage on site, where the casks are made and repaired. This tour finishes with a five malt tasting which is really interesting, informative and TASTY!! They are on the edge of Dufftown and the local bus service takes you the 15 miles or so and will drop you at the gate of the distillery.

There is a really nice distillery in Elgin which does tours, Glen Moray. They have some premium tours. Check out their website and they do very good tastings. It is possible to do a tour with the manager, which is much more interesting than most tours, but it needs a minimum of four people and costs GBP30. Worth it, so ask them if it is possible to join some other people and do this.

Glenmorangie is also a great visit, but it is about 60 miles from Elgin and if you do not have a lift, it is a bus or train to Inverness and the same up to Tain, plus a two mile walk. Nice place, though and it might make for a whole day out.

It is nice to sit in a good bar and sample some excellent malts, but unless the barman has lots of time and lots of knowledge, it isn't much of an experience and it hardly seems worth it to come 12,000 miles for that, when you can probably find a good whisky bar in Sydney :o) Willie

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whisky Tour

Glenmorangie and Balvenie distilleries are by arranged visit only according to the info I have, whereas many are just turn up and tour. Some have a shop which you can visit any time and often get tastings but only pre arranged tours. Glenmorangie is to the north of Inverness whilst Balvenie is on Speyside. There are plenty on Speyside that you could visit in a day especially from Elgin. I would do a tour or two of a couple of easily accessible Speyside distilleries then sample a good few at a pub or two, where you can often get a great and varied selection.

Edit, just seen the above post, written whilst I was typing, so apologies for duplicating, or out of date info regarding visits.

Edited: 11 October 2013, 17:34
California
Level Contributor
462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whisky Tour

You must visit Gordon & MacPhail while you are in Elgin as they are located in the town and have a wonderful selection of scotch.

www.gordonandmacphail.com/‎

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186558-d274… Elgin_Moray_Scotland.html

Scotland is quite civilized and most scotch shops will let you do some sampling. You might call ahead to try and set up an appointment.

When are you going to be in Elgin? Call to check which distilleries are open if you go before May. Not all distilleries are open all year. In fact, a phone call sometimes get you a private tour or tasting.

For general information, you can find out all sorts of information regarding Speyside distilleries – about an hour away from Elgin. …about.com/od/…distillery-tour_9.htm

Good luck!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whisky Tour

I also forgot to say www.scotchwhisky.net has a great section about every distillery in Scotland and visitor info and opening times, so that gives you more ability to plan. Marcia is correct, many are not open all year round. I believe Glenlivet, one of the most popular tours and a free one, is closed from end of September to Easter.

7. Re: Whisky Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Scottish Highlands