We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Routes to Skye

Netherlands
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Routes to Skye

Hallo, we are planning a trip to Scotland this May. We will be driving from Glencoe Village to the Isle of Skye going there by ferry and coming back using the bridge. What is the most scenic route to take?

Glencoe to Mallaig OR Glencoe to Glenelg

Thanks!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,800 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Routes to Skye

They are both really scenic. The Mallaig route will be quicker, because it is more direct and on a good major road, so you can go at a fair speed. The last part of the Glenelg route, over the Mam Ratagan Pass, is slow and winding, and spectacular.

As you are planning to return using the bridge, I suggest the Mallaig route would be best, simply because you will see much of the Glenelg route (e.g. the part going through Glen Shiel) on your return leg, whereas if you use the Glenelg ferry on the outward leg you will miss the entire 'Road to the Isles' section between Fort William and Mallaig. Look at a map and you'll see what I mean!

Netherlands
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Routes to Skye

Thanks for the reply:-) you're right, i'll go and look at the Calmac site then for ferry bookings...

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Routes to Skye

I'm with Dhmellor ;-)

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Routes to Skye

I think the answer depends on where you are going when you leave Skye. Dhm seems to assume you'll be returning south. Personally I would always include the Glenelg ferry at least once, as having the finest scenery and the best crossing, and supporting a local enterprise. Really good views of sea life on the Skye side as well.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Routes to Skye

Hi, i was also not very clear in my post :S We are staying near Broadford and going to Fochabers (Highland Games) after that. If we take the Glenegl ferry leaving Skye would we be able to see Eilean Donan castle? Thanks!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,800 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Routes to Skye

If you use the Glenelg ferry you will not pass Eilean Donan, but it's only a few miles off your route to Fochabers.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Routes to Skye

You would have to make a small detour of a few miles,

Netherlands
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Routes to Skye

Thanks for the replies! I would have to look again at our and the Glenelg ferry schedules cos need to leave early from Skye to be on time for the Highland Games in Fochabers...

Hope you all had a good weekend!

9. Re: Routes to Skye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Scottish Highlands