We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best base for Glencoe area

Montclair, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best base for Glencoe area

Hi, we have five nights in Scotland in late August. We are booked for two nights in Edinburgh. I've read a bunch about the relative merits of Inverness or Fort William as a base and neither seems to have unanimous support. I think we want to base somewhere near the Glencoe area (from descriptions) and are looking for a small, charming, picturesque town/village with nice accommodations for the family. Is there a suggestion to floats to mind?

If it helps narrow the search, we are flying out of Glasgow the last day at 2:00pm, so will need to be able to drive that morning to the airport without much trouble (oh yeah, we'll have a rental car w/ us the whole time). Thanks!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,966 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best base for Glencoe area

What type of accommodation are you looking for? (I'd be looking at a 20 mile radius of Fort William as a base, which includes Glencoe ;-) )

Montclair, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best base for Glencoe area

Thanks for your reply. We're a family of four (kids age 13/11) and for this stop we'd be looking for a nice 3 or 4 star hotel.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,966 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best base for Glencoe area

How about http://glenfinnanhouse.com/ very small village but extremely picturesque and right next to the "Harry Potter Train Bridge (viaduct) ;-)

Montclair, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best base for Glencoe area

That looks like a good option! Definitely fits my criteria.

One question. As I said, we have a 2pm flight on a Monday out of Glasgow. Looks like Glenfinnan is a 2h 39m drive to Glasgow (which is fine) according to Google. Just wanted to make sure that's a realistic way to plan. Meaning, if we left Glenfinnan (or that general area) at 8am on a Monday morning is there any reason to doubt we'd make it to the Glasgow airport by 11am (or even noon)?

I was looking farther East then Glenfinnan, so a location like this (if it works) would have the added benefit of being close enough to the Isle of Skye to possibly work that in.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,966 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best base for Glencoe area

Time-wise that is definitely realistic (Glasgow Airport is to the West of the city)

Montclair, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best base for Glencoe area

Great. Thanks!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,620 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best base for Glencoe area

I would always choose to stay at the Clachaig Inn in the glen itself but it depends what entertainment your kids need.

With kids that age you maybe want somewhere with an indoor pool etc. There's the Isles of Glencoe Hotel in Glencoe Village. It's in a lovely spot

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,966 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best base for Glencoe area

The Isles is in a great location however in my opinion is a little tired and wouldn't be my choice. If you were looking for a pool The Holly Tree is in a great location on Loch Linnhe http://www.hollytreehotel.co.uk/

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,966 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best base for Glencoe area

Just an add on to Glenfinnan, if you have good weather there are also stunning beaches nearby between Arisaig and Morar on the road to Mallaig (where you can catch a short ferry crossing to Skye). I've just back read and if you don't have good weather the beaches will still be there haha though maybe not ideal for sandcastle building :-)

Montclair, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best base for Glencoe area

The suggestion of Holly Tree is an intriguing one. The kids will love the pool, it's a bit closer to Glasgow for the ride to the airport, it's a little cheaper than the Glenfinnan and the reviews are solid on Trip Advisor. I guess I have two questions. (1) is it comparable to the Glenfinnan House or is the Holly Tree a definite step down and more importantly (2) is the area around the Holly Tree also an area that's relatively picturesque w/ stuff to do (e.g. walks, etc)? Again, thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Scottish Highlands