We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would love some help with my May itinerary

alabama
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Would love some help with my May itinerary

We are a family of 4 with 2 college aged children making a first time trip to Scotland. My husband is interested in looking into his Scottish roots in the Highlands. We are arriving in the late afternoon on May 17, Saturday.

Saturday- Arrive Edinburgh. Rent a car at the airport and drive near St. Andrews for the night. (Any lodging recommendations appreciated.) I am scared of driving on the wrong side of the road after a long flight!

Sunday morning- up early and drive to Fochabers for the Gordon Highland Games. Stay in small B and B in Dufftown.

Monday- whisky tour at Balvenie and maybe see a castle(which one?) Not sure if we should continue in Dufftown on Monday night or leave?

Tuesday- Drive to Inverness to see Culloden Battlefield, husband wants to buy a kilt and drive alone Loch Ness. Need a place to stay that night that is interesting that would appeal to college age kids.

Wednesday-visiting Erchless castle, hiking Plodda Falls and checking out the Glens that the Chisholm clan inhabited. Staying at a B and B in the Glen.

Thursday- ?? Wanted to stay at the Torridon Hotel for the big splurge but trying to decide if it is worth it if we can only stay one night. Visit Skye? Another big splurge you can recommend?

Friday-drive back to Ediinburgh, through Stirling, see Wallace monument -anything else?

Saturday- tour Edinburgh the best we can in a day or so.

Sunday-fly out to london.

I have a hotel booked in London and was only able to get 1 night in the Glen Affric area. We are a fairly active family, like history, music, culture, food, etc.

Is there a point in this itinerary where we should try to hire a "guide?" Any recommendations?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

alabama
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Would love some help with my May itinerary

I wish I could! We are already booked for a hotel in Edinburgh. May have to be on the next trip. Thanks though!

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Would love some help with my May itinerary

Hi Alabama Mom!

I've been interested in your question since I am also doing Scotland with my husband (interested in his Scottish roots) and our 2 college kids (daughters 16 yrs & 20yrs) in May. We are flying into Edinburgh on May 13, though, so I guess we'll be a bit ahead of you. We're doing Edinburgh, Skye and Inverness.

Hope you have fun - Go Gators!

23. Re: Would love some help with my May itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 04:21
Get answers to your questions about Scottish Highlands
Recent Conversations