We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather advice.

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Weather advice.

Hi everyone.

I am thinking of taking a mini holiday to Inverness / Loch Ness and the surrounding Highlands at the end of August / beginning of September. My question is, what weather conditions will I be facing at this time of year? is this a reasonable time to come ? What happens if I drop into late September ?

Anyway, thanks for any help.

Cheers

Mark

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,230 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather advice.

< what weather conditions will I be facing at this time of year? >

Ask us in September. Even less predictable than Manchester

< What happens if I drop into late September ? >

Much the same as in Manchester - days are shorter, weather changeable (except when it isn't)

It's probably too early for snow - and I would expect a good chance of wind & rain

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,855 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather advice.

The earlier in the month the better for more light and chance of warmer temperatures....but we had wonderful weather last September at the end of the month so who knows?

Woody x

Level Contributor
3,424 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather advice.

Later is better for avoiding insects

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,855 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather advice.

As you can see we can't even agree on the best time to come! Confused.com!!!

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather advice.

On average weather in the highlands tends to be better (ie dryer) in September than in August, but there are no guarantees (it's usually better in May too but has been pretty wet this year). You'll be past the worst of the biting beasties in September.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather advice.

No-one will head for any length of time into the wilds without some layers of clothing and a waterproof. So take that as a minimum - items that can be removed and carried if it's warm and dry.

There's no such thing as weather in Scotland. Just attitude of mind and extra socks.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 16:41
7. Re: Weather advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Scottish Highlands