We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 day travel itinerary suggestions?

wisconsin
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
3-4 day travel itinerary suggestions?

I am renting a car with four other ladies in Edinburgh on Sept 7th. We are traveling north to Inverness, want to see Skye, and then south back to Edinburgh. We will be staying three nights. Any advice on the best route(s) and where to stop for scenery along the way? Also, what towns would you stay for the three nights? I know it's not nearly enough time - but it's all we have. Much thanks in advance!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9,152 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 day travel itinerary suggestions?

Bear in mind it's at least a 5hour drive from Edinburgh to Portree. Inverness is taking you out of the way and no one seems to rate it as a tourist destination. I'd be tempted to spend 2 nights on Skye at least and the third maybe somewhere on the west coast on your way to or from Skye.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 day travel itinerary suggestions?

There is not one place you can stay for three nights and do all of that easily. They are too far apart. If you want to drive to Inverness then with stop offs en route at places such as Pitlochry with lots of shops and cafés then that will take more than half a day. Inverness is an attractive small city with lovely walks along the riverside. Then one night in Inverness and then two nights on Skye .

wisconsin
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 day travel itinerary suggestions?

Thanks for the feedback!

Fripp Island, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 day travel itinerary suggestions?

We'll be in Scotland in September. What would be the best 3 day trips to take from Inverness? Can we go as far north as Thurso? Want to see beautiful scenery, love coastal areas, and rugged terrain. Would love to get in a castle, too. Ullapool a possibility? Any help would be much appreciated. Will have hired car.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-4 day travel itinerary suggestions?

SDinSC - you have already posted your own thread with this question - its better not to add your question to another thread as you have done here (its called hijacking!) as it will confuse those old dogs like me who will try and answer the original one!!! No worries

:-))

W x

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-4 day travel itinerary suggestions?

OP - Hockeymomma3 - spend as much time in Skye as possible staying your 3 nights in one base ON Skye if possible and leave Inverness for another trip.

Woody x

wisconsin
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-4 day travel itinerary suggestions?

Much thanks! We've booked 2 nights on Skye so far, so I will tell the others & maybe we'll book all 3 there!

8. Re: 3-4 day travel itinerary suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 05:16