We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scottish highland suggestions

Essex
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Scottish highland suggestions

Hi

I'm thinking of visiting the Scottish highlands just after Christmas for a week (i.e. it will include NYE).

There are so many beautiful places that I am feeling very overwhelmed with where to go.

I would really appreciate some help. Ideally we'd get to see a couple of places but not so many that there is no time to take it all in. We'd be flying in from London and we'd need to hire a car to get around.

I'd be so grateful for recommendations.

Thank you

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,220 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scottish highland suggestions

Keep in mind it will be dark around 3.00pm in the afternoon. The weather could be bad if it snows a lot of road in the Highlands could be a problem. Also it is outside the holiday season, so, lots of places will be closed.

If you like skiing the Aviemore area might suit you.

Also not the Highlands but Edinburgh is an all the year around place with everything open and great for NYE.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 15:38
Essex
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scottish highland suggestions

Many thanks for that. Maybe going up there at NY is not the best idea.

glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scottish highland suggestions

Christmas/New Year in the Highlands is lovely. A lot of other people think so too, because it can be difficult getting booked into hotels or cottages at that time of year and you need to get in early for the best ones.It is ranked as 'high season'.

We are usually in Skye during or just after New Year and there is still plenty that is open, plenty visitors and things going on.In my experience, the 2nd week of Jan onwards is when some places start to reduce hours or close.In all the years we've travelled up north at that time, we've never had road closure/ferry problems, nor in February when we are usually up in Torridon or over in Mull.Not saying it can't happen but you would be unlucky if it did.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,220 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scottish highland suggestions

We have struggled home from the Highland in April. Snow and ice and road not good. I would also like to know exactly what is open? and what is there to do? When we where up in April there was very little open, signs everywhere closed until 1st May. So, it would be a good idea to let the O.P. know what to expect now she knows that there will be no road problems in January.

As for Skye, just wonder what there is to do there in January, we where there in June. I think the Highlands in Winter are good for walking, climbing, skiing and photography. I also think Skye is good if you get the weather for views,again walking etc., but if that is not for them, I am sure you will tell the O.P. what else there is.

glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scottish highland suggestions

Adopting a sarcastic tone about another person's valid opinion isn't worthy of Tripadvisor's Scotland (or any) Forum and undermines what it is all about; the sharing of a range of opinions and experiences to help others make informed choices.You have quoted an experience based on April when the query is about New Year. Did you read my point about many places not closing until after that holiday period? Did I say there would be no road problems? Don't quote me incorrectly.

The OP mentioned the sheer number of 'beautiful places' so 'views' do sound 'for them'. World class landscapes,photography, walking are there to be enjoyed all year round in the Highlands. Hotels, pubs and many restaurants too.

Your view is a very negative one, coloured by one (or more?) disappointing experiences.Ok, share that if you will. But don't rubbish the opinions and experiences of others simply because they don't match your own.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,220 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scottish highland suggestions

Everyone is allowed an opinion. My is, The Highland are lovely, but in Winter unless you like views, photography or walking (in cold weather) there is not a lot do to. That is not negative that my view.

I love Edinburgh and find lots to do there and I would have no hesitation to head there for a winter break and leave the HIghlands for the Summer. My honesty views.

7. Re: Scottish highland suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 05:16