We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic drive: Broadford to Thurso?

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
865 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Most scenic drive: Broadford to Thurso?

We are in the early stages of planning our fifth trip to Scotland next summer. I am having problems picking the most scenic route for the day we drive from Broadford to Thurso. (The following day we will be taking the ferry to Stromness.). I was thinking of driving through Glen Torridon, since we thought that was the prettiest part of Wester Ross on our last trip. Would it be more scenic to skip Glen Torridon and instead head up towards Ullapool and the north coast? (We have never been to that part of Scotland. ) Is the A 836 that goes to Tongue scenic? Any advice is much appreciated!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most scenic drive: Broadford to Thurso?

I might not be understanding your questions - I don't have a map in front of me.

But, I think you should go through Torridon and then follow the coast as much as possible - Gairloch, Ullapool, Durness etc.

It's ALL scenic. Probably one of the most scenic corners of Europe.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,242 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most scenic drive: Broadford to Thurso?

Peterscot's route will be wonderfully scenic, but at a guess it's at least 250 miles, often on slow winding roads. So for all sorts of reasons, I don't think it's a good idea to try to do it in a single day.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
865 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most scenic drive: Broadford to Thurso?

Thanks to both of you for your advice. Any suggestions for a shorter route that is still scenic? We only have one day available for this part of our trip.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most scenic drive: Broadford to Thurso?

As I said, it's all scenic.

Try using viamichelin.com for route planning. It has a "scenic route " option.....

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most scenic drive: Broadford to Thurso?

I was going to suggest the same route as Peter but a way of shortening the route would be to head for Achnasheen after Torridon and then join the Ullapool road and then up the West Coast and along the North Coast. As Peter says it's a seriously scenic part of the country :-)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most scenic drive: Broadford to Thurso?

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

Even the most direct route (via Inverness) is still serious mileage at 200 miles

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp#fromNode=0|Broadford||-5.913865|57.242378|toNode=0|Thurso||-3.522080|58.593566

And this route goes East coast and omits all the fabulous mountain scenery we've been talking about. It simply gets you there faster.

Any other compromise combo route will be nearer the original 250 miles.

I'd say bite the bullet and do the west coast and take 2 days - if you have time. Do the full monty - Applecross, Torridon, and right up the coast past Ullapool, even if it turns out to be nearer 300 miles.

7. Re: Most scenic drive: Broadford to Thurso?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 07:17