We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland Road Trip Itinerary

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
53 reviews
Save Topic
Scotland Road Trip Itinerary

Hello All! I've seen so many people get help with their itineraries that I thought I'd post mine and see what the general consensus is. Hubby and I are spending our 10th anniversary in the UK, and are leaving a week from Friday!! I am in my mid-30's and hubby is pushing 50... we are in relatively good shape, but not looking to do multi-day hikes or trekking. Moderate walks and if anybody has recommendations for things off the beaten path, we love that sort of thing! I have been using UndiscoveredScotland to help plan the trip and it is fantastic!

So here we go.

Day 1 - 5 (Sept 6 - 10) London

Day 6 (Sept 11)- Train from London to Glasgow - arriving Glasgow approximately 5pm. I thought we would check into our hotel and grab dinner at the Horseshoe Bar and just generally bum around for the evening. We are staying at the EuroHostel so seems to be fairly centrally located.

Day 7 (Sept 12) Hop-on/off bus tour. This is our only full day in Glasgow. I LOVE cemeteries, so I know I want to spend some time at the Necropolis, but other than that - have nothing major planned... here is where is gets interesting :)

Day 8 (Sept 13) - Pick up car from Glasgow Airport - Drive to Oban via Inveraray - along the way view Loch Lomond, Kilchurn Castle, Dunstaffnage Castle and perhaps Ardchattan Priory (I realize it is a bit out of the way). Overnight in Oban

Day 9 (Sept 14) Three Isles Tour (All day) drive to Fort Williams - stay in Fort Williams. We are basically using Fort Williams as a sleeping point and nothing else.

Day 10 (Sept 15) - Ferry to Skye - Staying at the Skyewalker Hostel -- So on the way from the ferry to the hostel check out : Clan Donald Skye Visitor Center, Knock Castle. Glennbrittle and the Fairy Pools. I am very eager to see the Fairy Pools - so that will be the remainder of our day, with a stop at Talisker Distillery if time permits.

Day 11 (Sept 16) second night at Skyewalker Hostel - Driving trip around skye. (This is where I think people are going to tell me it's too much!!) We will start this day fairly early, drive to Portree and check out the Fairy Glen and Portree too! Walk to the Old Man of Storr, drive north and check out Duntulum Castle, stop for a late lunch in Uig, perhaps check out Dunvegan Castle and then back to the hostel. Google maps says this entire drive should be just over 3 hours... how off is that?

Day 12 (Sept 17) Drive from Skye to Inverness -

On the way we will check out Eileen Donan Castle, Urquart Castle, and the Visitor Center for Nessie. Check in at our hotel, then off to the Culloden Battlefields and Clava Cairns, MAYBE Fort George, I don't know how much interest I have there. Overnight #1 in Inverness.

Day 13 (Sept 18) Inverness - Check out Inverness Castle, St. Andrews Cathedral, Beauly Priory, Fortrose Cathedral and Chanonry point.

Day 14 (Sept 19) Inverness to Edinburgh - This day is kinda stumping me. We need to have the rental car at Edinburgh Airport by 2pm. We are ok getting up early, and there is really only one thing that I must see, and that is the Kelpies in Falkirk... and perhaps Dunkeld Cathedral. Is there anything else worth stopping at along the way?? I know that I am skipping the rather obvious Stiriling castle, I just don't know if there will be time to do a major attraction like that. We are staying rather centrally located in Edinburgh -- but perhaps that question is better off in a Edinburgh board.

Day 15 & 16 (Sept 20 - 21) Edinburgh, home on day 17.

Thanks for any help!

Tampere, Finland
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland Road Trip Itinerary

Hi,

Day 11: Dont really know what is the Fairy Glen in the centre of portree (google maps) , but if you mean The Fairy Glen walk, its near Uig:

www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/fairyglen.shtml

Day 13: You probably mean some other cathedral than St. Andrews Cathedral, because its at least 3 hour drive (one way) to St. Andrews from Inverness ?

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
20,544 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland Road Trip Itinerary

Kalis have a look at tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186543-… ;-)

Tampere, Finland
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland Road Trip Itinerary

I have visited Inverness 3 times have not noticed that there is also St. Andrews Cathedral!

imo it`s cheating to have more than a one cathedral with identical name in same country :)

What about that the Fairy Glen in the center of Portree? (as google maps points)

Are you Scots cheating me twice? ;)

Edited: 26 August 2014, 10:19
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland Road Trip Itinerary

Stop in Kilmartin Glen on your way to Oban: many thousands of years of history.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland Road Trip Itinerary

Glasgow Cathedral is worth a look.The University Cloisters are lovely.Might not be your interest but some of the Mackinotsh buildings in Glasgow are superb.

The Skye touring day looks fine. Duntulm is a fantastic spot. Flodigarry is nice for lunch,great location and there are some good tea rooms up that way around Staffin now.Depends what you like of course.Old Man of Storr walk will take around 2 hours return.

Dunkeld is a good choice,lovely place though Stirling is top notch re castles.Shame you can't fit it in.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland Road Trip Itinerary

Kalis as St Andrew is the Patron Saint of Scotland then it's not unusual for most towns to have at least a Church in his name.

Glasgow also has a St Andrews Cathedral.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotland Road Trip Itinerary

Culloden Battlefield outside Inverness is historic. Bonnie Prince Charlie's army was routed after which he fled to France.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 18:11
8. Re: Scotland Road Trip Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Scottish Highlands