We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Scottish Tours - has anyone used this company?

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
46 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Best Scottish Tours - has anyone used this company?

I am organizing a group of 6-8 friends to spend 10-14 days in the Scottish Highlands next fall (Sept 2007). I can't find a 'canned agenda/itinerary' from the major tour companies (OAT is close). This company out of Argyll (Best Scottish Tours) proposes to 'customize' an itinerary for us. Has anyone used this outfit to do a customized tour? How was it? Would you reccommend them? Thanks for your comments. I would also like to hear from anyone who has taken the OAT "England's Lake District and the Scottish Highlands".

Sacgirl39
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Scottish Tours - has anyone used this company?

My sister and I booked a tour with Best Scottish tours and have been VERY disappointed with them. We booked the tour 6 months in advance and paid a deposit, but about a month before the tour was supposed to be they told us that they didn't have anyone to do it and therefore were cancelling our tour. The problem was we had non-refundable plane tickets and couldn't change the dates. They've been almost impossible to get a hold of since. I'd highly suggest going with someone else.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
46 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Scottish Tours - has anyone used this company?

My wife and I just returned from Scotland. Part of this trip was an 8-day "personal" tour with Best Scottish Tours for my wife and I and two other couples. While we did not have the totally unacceptable experience of Sacgirl39, we still cannot recommend this company.

Here is a recap of the negatives: (there are many more)

- BST actually booked another client on our tour! While this worked out not to be a problem; we were still upset, since there had been NO forewarning of this.

- After 2 days with George as our driver/guide, BST substituted an inexperienced guide for the rest of our tour. Again, this worked out since the new guide (Robert) was so pleasant and accommodating. Also, I had done thorough research and knew what we wanted to see. Otherwise, it would have been a disaster!

-We stayed at four different Guest Houses/Hotels. Two of these were quite nice and comfortable, while the other two were marginal. However, the meals were excellent without exception.

So we have mixed feelings about our experience, but NOT about BST. They should not be allowed to do business in this manner. If I were Sacgirl39, I'd report them to the Scottish Tourist Board.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Scottish Tours - has anyone used this company?

After seeking advice from Trip Advisor, Best Scottish Tours would like to take the opportunity to include some mitigating circumstances surrounding the two comments made to BDAD59. We have been touring clients for 10 years and have had in that time 3 complaints which take very seriously.

With regards to the first comment regarding cancellation by Sacgirl39. The mitigating circumstances were that this tour had already been postponed by the client from July (one of our busiest months) to October (which is the start of the quieter season). Also the price for the tour reflected a group tour which we were unable to offer after extensive searches to add to a tour in October. The client was given a range of offers including an offer to move the tour to August of 2008 and we would provide the Tattoo tickets in the price already quoted. Having made numberous attempts via e_mail and phone, we were in contact, and have e-mail evidence of this.

With regards to the second comment posted by BDAD59. The client was informed in writing that whilst having a customized itinerary, this was not an exclusive tour as an exclusive tour would be at a higher cost. Once again we have documented evidence to this end. This requested tour was originally for 8 people however ended up with 6 and 1 additional person. One of the Company Directors did actually take the first couple of days of this tour to ensure that the Client was well received. This Client had full scope with Directors being involved with his tour from early in the planning stages due to the customisations he wanted to his tour.

We are very dissappointed in the comments made and endeavour to ensure that we improve on all aspects of consturctive cirticism given.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
46 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Scottish Tours - has anyone used this company?

While I am willing to concede to a possible misunderstanding relative to some of my criticism; our understanding that ours was 'our own exclusive tour' is documented in two e-mails from a BST representative (Joyce) dated 15Sep and 25Sep2007. This is when we were putting out bids/inquiries for making our definite plans. I can also 'document' the question of a group of 8 vs 6 people.

If BST wants to make this a 'he said; she said' contest, I can provide these e-mails. Otherwise, they should admit that they could have been some misunderstandings and let that be the end of this situation. Otherwise, bring it on!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Scottish Tours - has anyone used this company?

We've (hubbie & I) just returned from a weeks holiday in Scotland staying with relatives.

Whilst out & about we chatted to LOADS of people & this company (http://www.lochsandglens.com/default.asp) kept coming up again & again as 'a good deal' & recommended.

Coincidentally, my Mum has just returned from a 5 day trip with them too & absolutely loved it.

I have no connections at all, and would like to know if anyone else knows much about them? Just seem like they might suit you all?

A

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
46 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Scottish Tours - has anyone used this company?

One more post just to make myself clear.

My group has already been on the tour led by BST. While my previous criticisms stand, we enjoyed the tour and feel that we got good value from it. If BST can 'get their act together' they would be a good option.

7. Re: Best Scottish Tours - has anyone used this company?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 10:24