We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland in February?

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
132 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Scotland in February?

After having spent a wonderful week in Scotland last year in May (Edinburgh, Inverness and Oban) and another wonderful week this year in September (Edinburgh – again -, Arran and Glasgow) I’m thinking of going to Scotland for one week in February, but I have no idea where to stay. Unfortunately the books about Scotland I’ve read are focused on the period of time between May and September. I’ve browsed through several websites about Scotland but they’ve left me with more questions than answers.

I think the scenery in the Highlands must be very beautiful in winter. Is there a place where it’s likely to have snow at that time of the year? We’re not into skiing but we’d like to go for walks and see some castles, museums, distilleries and nice towns, maybe take a day trip to one of the cities. Aviemore seems to be a place that gets snow quite regularly but from what I’ve read it doesn’t seem to be a very pretty place (sorry if I’m wrong). I’m thinking of renting a cottage but most of the cottages in the Highlands seem to be in very remote places. How are the road conditions in February? Would it be better to stay at a hotel or a b & b in a town? If so, which town would you recommend? Will there be a lot to see or will the castles, museums etc. be closed? Will most of the restaurants be open? Is there a time I should avoid because of school holidays, bank holidays etc? Would it be a good idea to go to Scotland in February at all or should I go later in the year? I’d appreciate any advice!

Many thanks in advance!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland in February?

There is a school holiday in February, but they are often slightly staggered in different regions of Scotland, and I don't think that the hotels will be overrun with families, with the exception of the ones that aim to attract the families, like Crieff Hydro or Hilton Coylumbridge in Aviemore.

Aviemore and the surrounding area are very likely to have snow, and while it may not be the prettiest place on earth, you don't need to go far to be surrounded by heavenly views, and at least there will be a warm pub or three to visit.

There are some delightful towns that are well worth considering, one being Dunkel just off the A9. Some of the National Trust and Historic Scotland places will most likely be closed for winter, but often the grounds are open for the public to roam and it doesn't stop you taking the all important photos of the outside.

February, cold as it is, could be a great time to experience Scotland at its most rugged and moody best.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland in February?

"Dunkel off the A9" otherwise known as Dunkeld. Nearly time for bed I think Purple:) What a difference one letter makes I was trying to thin where Dunkel was!!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland in February?

I was trying to THINK.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland in February?

"Unfortunately the books about Scotland I’ve read are focused on the period of time between May and September."

There is a reason for that!

Lots of stuff will be closed, it may be difficult to get where you want to go (or get back from it) and you'll have 1/2 the number of daylight hours you'd get in June or July and remote highland cottages will be extra remote, if they are open.

Fair enough if you ski (but you could be unluckky and get no snow), but otherwise I think May-Sep is better...a bit like the books focus on :-)

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland in February?

Thanks - you were right about it being time for bed - got flu as well - :-(

6. Re: Scotland in February?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 11:21
Get answers to your questions about Scottish Highlands
Recent Conversations