We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Cairngorms from Pitlochry

Canberra
Level Contributor
579 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to Cairngorms from Pitlochry

After reading past posts, and seeing that Blair Castle is closed on 26 December we thought we would stop for lunch at Pitlochry (after leaving Edinburgh), suggested Moulin Inn and then try and have a ride on the Cairngorms Mountail Railway on our way to Inverness.

Would someone please tell me where it actually is so I can put a destination into Mitchelin Maps to get some directions and timings.

Thanks in advance.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,807 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to Cairngorms from Pitlochry

http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/contact-us

The address is on there.

CairnGorm Mountain Ltd, Cairn Gorm Ski Area, Aviemore PH22 1RB

Canberra
Level Contributor
579 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to Cairngorms from Pitlochry

Thanks, couldn't see it myself, blind as a bat I think.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to Cairngorms from Pitlochry

I don't want to be a "party pooper" and heaven forbid we have another winter like we did last year but I would have some contingency plans prepared in case the weather is inclement. The ski road was closed for quite a number of days last year and when it was open they were only letting people up with 4x4 or snow chains so that vehicles which were not sufficiently able would not block the road when they got stuck! I really hope this will not be the case for you but even the A9 gets blocked and the snow gates are often closed at Blair Atholl or Dalwhinnie to make sure the snow ploughs can work freely without having to work round stranded vehicles. I know I have painted a very bleak picture but "fail to plan, plan to fail" so at least have some alternatives in mind so you can change tack at the last minute.

Have a great trip - and if the snow is there - at least its extremely picturesque! You may want to stop off at the Reindeer Centre on the ski road up to Cairngorm Mountain and then you can take back a photo of you with snow and reindeer -how seasonal would that be?

www.cairngormreindeer.co.uk

Regards

Woody x

Canberra
Level Contributor
579 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to Cairngorms from Pitlochry

Thanks for the information Woody. We are travelling up to Inverness that day, so does that mean we may be prevented from continuing to Inverness if there is snow? What would we do then? Even if we cannot do the Cairngorms Mountain Railway, we will need to get to Inverness. Cheers.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive to Cairngorms from Pitlochry

You'd be fairly unlucky to have that much snow but if the A9 is shut, the alternative routes to Inverness are as it looks on a map...mammoth detours that will take all day to drive. Forget the A93 and A939 for example - both are more likely to shut. You will have to find somewhere to stay that you can reach.

The 'mountain railway' is a funicular lift at a ski centre so likely to be pretty busy especially if the snow is good. With decent weather and snow, it will be full of skiers and the top car park (by the bottom of the funicular) will be full by 9am. The lower car park fills later, then you need to get a bus up - since the ski centre neglected the chairlifts on that side of the mountain to justify the expense of the aforementioned funicular. The restaurant at the top is okay and the views are pretty good.

Here's some pictures of it on Boxing day last year. The second photo shows the funicular. Looks like it was a perfect day:

winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php…

Beware that even if the road isn't blocked, you need to allow plenty of time to get anywhere as the roads can be icy and it gets light late (9ish) and dark early (4ish).

Canberra
Level Contributor
579 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive to Cairngorms from Pitlochry

Thanks for the heads up. Will be passing this information onto Hubby, driving is his domain, but luckily he is used to snow conditions. Note to remember to get some snow chains.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive to Cairngorms from Pitlochry

We have never used snow chains in all the time we have lived here - even during last winter, the worst in 50 years! I would wait till you get here and see what the weather is like at the time of your visit. There was a time a couple of years ago when there wasn't enough snow (for a continuous spell of skiing) so it can change from year to year obviously! Sc0ttishskier is right - you would be fairly unlucky to encounter such (bad) weather but its worth bearing it in mind if its your first time in Scotland?

W x

Edited: 13 August 2010, 09:24
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,550 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive to Cairngorms from Pitlochry

Woodybark is right - snowchains are not widely used here. If it's bad enough for snow chains you can be sure the roads will be impassable due to abandoned cars and lorries.

9. Re: Drive to Cairngorms from Pitlochry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2011, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Badenoch and Strathspey