We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a Car.

Mexico
Level Contributor
228 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a Car.

Hi.

My family and I will be in Aviemore next June but wanna rent a car to visit some interesting places, but where do you recommend us to rent it? Aviemore or Inverness, I think that Aviemore is the best option but is it possible? And which are the best options in your opinion? (I know it depends on the number of days, kind of car, insurance, etc.)

I've been looking them on the Internet but I can't find what to choose. We'd like a small car as we are 4, and we will be there for one week.

Is it better to reserve it in advance or once we get there?

Hope you can help us.

Thanks in advance for your advices.

=o)

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a Car.

Why don't you email the tourist information centre

aviemore@visitscotland.com

and ask their advice.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a Car.

Hi Rocco - I am trying to think of car rental places in Aviemore and on looking at Google Weir's of Aviemore came up.

www.weirsofaviemore.co.uk

I have never rented from them as I live in the area so have no need.

Aviemore is just a small village you know. Are you flying to Inverness? - if so best to rent from the airport I would imagine. If you are renting in Aviemore best to reserve in advance. I can't imagine anyone will have a huge fleet. There's also Bremners of Aviemore but I don't know if they actually do CAR hire. You could try them too

www.bremnersofaviemore.co.uk

Sorry not a great deal of useful info there!!

Austin
Level Contributor
923 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a Car.

We had the same dilemma as you, Aviemore or Inverness? After getting about a dozen quotes, ended up renting at the Inverness airport, which came out being much less expensive than renting in Aviemore. Also, factor in the cost of the train tickets to Aviemore from Inverness, if that's where you're coming from.

Definitely reserve in advance to lock in a good rate. We got the best deal from Avis, the only time that has happened. Be careful about extra charges if your drop off the car before 6 AM or on a Sunday. Those were the deal-breakers for us with the local rental agencies.

Inverness
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a Car.

If you are arriving at Inverness Airport I would definitely hire a car from the Airport - to get to Aviemore you would have to get a bus to Inverness and then another train/bus - might as well save your ticket fare and hire a car!

I would book it beforehand too - you might get a better deal online. Try http://www.sharpsreliablewrecks.co.uk/ - I have never used them myself (living in Inverness), but have heard good reports.

RachieD

DML
Hallett Cove...
Level Contributor
129 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a Car.

You can also hire from Macdonalds in Aviemore - small family run firm, but as others have said you'll need to get here in the first instance so prob best to hire at Inverness Airport. Google "car hire inverness airport" and you'll get lots of info. In case you want the details for Macdonalds this is it:

Macdonalds

13 Muirton

Aviemore

PH22 1SF

Telephone: 01479 811444

6. Re: Renting a Car.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 16:20
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore