We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife Watching Sept

letchworth
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife Watching Sept

I am planning a holiday (my boyfriend & I) for the end of Sept 2010 (early planning I know!!) for approx 9 days (2 will be driving) & am really interested in staying in Glen Clova & visiting the Cairngorm National Park. Basically i just want our holiday to be relaxing; lots of walking & watching the wildlife in the area so am looking for some recommendations of where to go. There's almost too much info on the internet that I'm becoming confused!

I would love to go out & see whales/dolphins as well as birds & other animals so if anyone has any advice then it would be much appreciated as i have never been to Scotland before. Am not looking for any bars/clubs/busy places as I can't be doing with any of that now - just nice relaxing activities!!! Thanks!!!

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,492 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife Watching Sept

Chanonry Point just north of Inverness on the Black Isle is THE best land based dolphin watching sight in Europe according to Simon King of Spring and Autumn Watch. Look for Rosemarkie on you map and you will find it!

I had a great summer visit to Gairloch and Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Watching Cruises. We went out in a rigid inflatable to view Minke Whales amongst other things. Its 2 hours drive (100miles) from Aviemore to Gairloch but the scenery is stunning and the roads are very quiet. Loch Maree is fabulous and I just couldn't take enough photos.Puffin Cruises based at Macduff Harbour on the Moray Firth coast is just one of the many companies who will take you out to look for wildlife, and if you are lucky you may encounter dolphins and other cetaceans.

regards

Woody x

letchworth
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife Watching Sept

Thanks for that - I can't wait to go now!! Am really hoping to see a whale or two but it seems to be such a beautiful place that we will have a fantastic time.

aviemore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife Watching Sept

Hi,

Cairngorms National Park is great for wildlife. Look up Springwatch and Autumnwatch to get an idea of the creatures you might see. All www.speysidewildlife.co.uk is a great local company who can take you on guided trips or make recommendations to you.

We see wildlife everyday without having to look for it. It is a wonderful area.

Enjoy!

glasgow
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife Watching Sept

hi

nearer the time have a look at the what's on guide - http://www.visitaviemore.com/whatson as the highland rangers and Rothiemurchus (one of the large estates in the area) tend to wildlie watches, dusk/dawn watches etc and they are not very expensive.

Visit the highland wildlife park - http://www.highlandwildlifepark.org/ they have a polar bear now! and the animals are in really good habitats, def worth a visit.

Food wise, make sure you visit the Mountain Cafe, breakfast especially is just amazing! and Cafe Mambo is good for a hot chocolate and nachos, to just chill out and read the papers :) Roo's Leap is good for a burger and you will also get a good meal at the Cairngorm Hotel.

For walking, there are some nice walks in Glenmore, you can get a map from the shop for about £1. For others - walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/aviemore.shtml

we are going june and november every year, counting the weeks already! you will have a great time, really good place to start on your first visit to scotland :)

scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife Watching Sept

hi

you could try the landmark centre at carrbridge they have a red squirrel feeding area and some nice walks don’t let the play area put you off you can stay well away if you want,

(www.landmarkpark.co.uk) also the alpine garden centre on the b970 between rothiemurchus and loch inch they do the best cakes ever and have a good setup for seeing birds and squirrels, on the same road before you get to the garden centre there is also loch an eilein part of the rothiemurchus estate a very nice walk (www.rothiemurchus.net)

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,492 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife Watching Sept

The garden centre Tarric refers to is The Potting Shed Tearoom - also known as Inshriach Nursery. It is closed on a Wednesday though so make a note of that. Bill's Cafe (Glenmore Cafe) beside the Glenmore Caravan Park on the road to Cairngorm Mountain( not Glenmore Visitor Centre but across the road, just looks like a wee shop from the outside) also has a good viewing gallery for feeders, seen from the cafe tables. They have the usual woodland birds, plus the elusive Crested Tit. Watch out for the local Sparrowhawk coming in for a "takeaway" and if you are very lucky you may even see a Pine Marten. I would recommend booking Speyside Wildlife Hide for an evening wildlife watch to see up close views of badger, red deer and pine marten. £18 booked on line £20 over the phone. The guide in the hide is very entertaining and its a cosy comfortable way to watch wildlife. www.speysidewildlife.co.uk

Cheers

Woody x

7. Re: Wildlife Watching Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore