We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Aviemore

MarcGill
4 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Aviemore

Hi,

A friend and I are going on a 4 day camping trip in a few weeks in the cairngorms. We are getting a train to aviemore and wondered if the station has any lockers to store some clean gear so we dont have to carry it on our hike.

Any info would be great

Thanks

Marc

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Aviemore

The web site says no lockers...

nationalrail.co.uk/stations/avm/details.html

(Click 'general service information' for details)

You could try contacting them to confirm this. Click on 'contact us' at the bottom of the page for a contact form.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Aviemore

Presume you are experienced hikers with all the right gear and lots of knowledge? They were setting explosives at Cairngorm today to test for avalanche risk which is very high in the area just now after the biggest snow fall in many years.

Take care

Woody

MarcGill
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Aviemore

Hi Woody,

We have a little experience. But we have toned down our trip due to the weather at present. I think we will keep to the forests and maybe a walk along to Derry lodge via Corrour Bothy through the valley. Do you think this will be accessible with the current conditions?

Many thanks for the info.

Marc

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Aviemore

You might try phoning Cairngorm Mountain Ranger Service 01479 861703 for some information - or even Glenmore Lodge 01479861256 for information about walking conditions. They would be the best people to advise you. When you say walk along to Derry Lodge through the valley - do you mean The Lairig Ghru? I would have though this may only be accessible with touring skis!!!!

I am no expert but even walking in our local woods today its hard going underfoot - goodness knows what its like off the beaten track. Please let someone know where you are going and when you are likely to get back.(Thats the parent in me speaking!!)

Good luck

Woody x

DML
Hallett Cove...
Level Contributor
129 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Aviemore

Woody is quite right - the amount of snow in/on the Cairngorm Mountains at the moment has to be seen to be believed - its the most in living memory. I haven't been along the route you mention but would expect it to be knee/thigh (or even deeper!) snow. Probably best on skis and even then it will be some effort. You'll see what I mean when you get here!

6. Re: Visiting Aviemore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore