We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter jacket needed?

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Winter jacket needed?

I know I'm obsessing. My trip to Scotland is April 13th thru the 22nd. I have a mid weight fleece lined/insulated windbreaker type of jacket and I'm wondering if I should bring that with me. I'm planning on lighter weight long-sleeved cowl neck sweaters and jeans with a fleece jacket to layer. I have a long waterproof rain coat but it is unlined. I've thought that if I leave the jacket home and it is cold I have a perfect excuse for buying a nice wool sweater to help me keep warm. But I'm thinking that even with the jacket, I don't really need the excuse to shop. ;-D

Loch an Eilein
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Bodies of Water
Cairngorm Reindeer Herd
Nature & Wildlife Areas
Rothiemurchus
Forests, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,356 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter jacket needed?

Short answer - no idea and anyone who says they do is a liar or deluded. It's pre-Easter so the chances of cold weather exist

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter jacket needed?

Alanrow is correct in that we can't predict the weather or your cold tolerance. However, layering up a cowl-neck sweater, fleece and lightweight jacket combo should keep you fairly warm, no? Layers are always best anyway.

Abs :-)

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter jacket needed?

We go fishing in the highlands usually in April and in the summer months. And one thing you can be sure of, the weather will vary and often within the same day. Even in the summer, we bring ski caps and gloves and many layers as it can get cold & raw on the water. Or, when the sun comes out it can get very nice and warm. But, a waterproof coat is a must. Next you should prepare for wind as it can get very windy. Then layers, as you can add and take off as needed. Since you posted on the Aviemore forum, I am assuming you will be doing walking/hiking activies. I would also take some shorts as you never know. At least you won't be dealing with the mighty midges.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter jacket needed?

I think you need something that is waterproof as well as warm/windproof

Woody x

5. Re: Winter jacket needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore