We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How likely is a white chrismas in Aviemore?

Which Aviemore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic

Thanks in advance

Cam

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How likely is a white chrismas in Aviemore?

Much much more likely than Skye - its usually one of the first places to get any snow thats going around, and if you don't get it down below the Cairngorms at Aviemore itself, then a quick trip to the Ptarmigan station at the top on the funicular railway will probably find you some:

www.snowsport-highland.com/cairngorminfo.htm

Hope this helps :-)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How likely is a white chrismas in Aviemore?

Cam I hope we have one so that you can go home happy. As a last resort you could hire someone with a snowmachine for Christmas morning outside your window!?!

inverness
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How likely is a white chrismas in Aviemore?

Very Likely, mild summers normally means cold winters & Aviemore is usually the coldest area in Winter -24 3 years ago.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How likely is a white chrismas in Aviemore?

Last year the first snow fall was the last week in November.

DML
Hallett Cove...
Level Contributor
129 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How likely is a white chrismas in Aviemore?

i live in Aviemore. We have had a white christmas for 5 out of the last 7. very mild last year sadly.

really nice walking home from the pub on Christmas Eve with the snow falling.

whilst snow can never be guaranteed here, Aviemore is probably your best bet for a white Christmas in the UK

even if it doesn't snow its a great place to be for Christmas - reindeer parade down the main street, free party outside the cairngorm hotel and lots of other events. but then as a local i am biased

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How likely is a white chrismas in Aviemore?

Hi Cam,

I just returned from aviemore and there is snow on the hills now, it fell on Thursday morning. The snow line is about 800metres height and there is more forecast.

If you google Aviemore and go onto the towns official site there is a web cam on the Ptarmigan resturant near the top of cairngorm. This is accesible by the funicular railway.

I would reccommend staying in the MacDoanld Highland resort

Enjoy

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How likely is a white chrismas in Aviemore?

Snow meant to be coming down to 400m this week

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How likely is a white chrismas in Aviemore?

Ooh there's a party outside the Cairngorm hotel? My husband, sister and I will be staying there this Christmas? I've always wanted a White Christmas (I'm an Aussie too) and we thought Aviemore would be our best bet :o) Hopefully I'm right!

9. Re: How likely is a white chrismas in Aviemore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore