We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location of Carbisdale Castle

Texas
Level Contributor
253 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Location of Carbisdale Castle

What airport is near Carbisdale Castle and how would I get there by bus or train?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location of Carbisdale Castle

Hope this helps:

syha.org.uk/SYHA/…carbisdalecastlelocal.asp

I guess Glasgow or Edinburgh would be the nearest main airports, though there is a wee one at Inverness .

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location of Carbisdale Castle

It won't be a quick journey, but it should a stunning one. Here's a link to a virtual tour of the Castle:

http://www.carbisdale.org/virtualtour.htm

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location of Carbisdale Castle

There should be flights from Heathrow or Gatwick to Inverness which is definately as near as you are going to get by plane unless you have your own:-) Carbisdale is in or near the village of Culrain which appears to be on the railway line from Inverness to Wick. Google "Culrain" and this will bring up Wikipedia as an option and this in turn will take you to other useful links such as National Rail.

I am not too sure how far the station is from the hostel but perhaps the hostel could sort out transport for you if necessary.

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Culrain
Culrain
Caithness and Sutherland, UK
Wick
Wick
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location of Carbisdale Castle

Another possibility is to fly to Edinburgh and catch the train from there. This would require more changes but I think there are more frequent flights to Edinburgh and it might be the cheaper option.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
23,602 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location of Carbisdale Castle

The cheapest flights to inverness would be with easyjet from Gatwick Luton Bristol or Belfast (if visiting Morthern Ireland) Eastern Airways fly from Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester and Southampton. You would need to get a bus to Ardgay or Bonar Bridge. You can also stay overnight at Carbisdale Castle as it is also a hostel. I live 30 mins from the castle so if you need anymore info. let me know and I'll find it out.

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Ardgay
Ardgay
Bonar Bridge
Bonar Bridge
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
23,602 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location of Carbisdale Castle

Checked a bit further, the castle is 500 metres from the train station at Culrain and the train leaves Inverness at 0721 1127 and 1730 and the journey takes about an hour and a half.

p.s. FD I had know idea there was a station in Culrain (its a village with all of 10 house's well maybe a couple more but not a lot ;-) )

Mentioned in this post
Culrain
Culrain
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location of Carbisdale Castle

Neither did I till I came across it on Wikipedia Jock !

Texas
Level Contributor
253 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location of Carbisdale Castle

Thanks for all the helpful information you all. I just hope I don't get lost : ) but I'm sure it will be lots of fun. It will be great to see Scotland again.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
9. Re: Location of Carbisdale Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 23:19
Get answers to your questions about Caithness and...
More Caithness and Sutherland Topics