We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest Ferry from Pentland Hotel?

Richmond, VA
3 posts
Save Topic
Closest Ferry from Pentland Hotel?

I'm staying at the Pentland hotel and will be planning on a day trip to Orkney and was wondering which ferry I should choose to go to Orkney. Would the one at Scrabster be the closest or Gills Bay?

I have a closer lead on booking with the one that sets sail out of Gills Bay but we dock at St. Margarets Hope. Is that too far away from all of the stuff in or around Skara Brae?

Thurso, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closest Ferry from Pentland Hotel?

Hi there

Sorry this reply won't be much use to you now, but I hope you got to Orkney OK. I live in Thurso, and would probably have advised the Gills ferry on grounds of cost, but you probably know this by now.

Hope you'll come back and see us again.

Tordal

Richmond, VA
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Closest Ferry from Pentland Hotel?

Yes, we ended up choosing the one that sails out of Gills Bay. It was a nice short trip and we got to see most of everything we wanted. If we ever go agian, I think it would be nice to spend a couple of days on Orkney instead of just the one. We learned that on the days we had to catch a ferry were the most time crucial of them all. Not a good thing to worry about when you are on vacation.

3. Re: Closest Ferry from Pentland Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 20:19
Get answers to your questions about Thurso