We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Betty Hill, Museum, shops, cafe, and lots to do

thurso
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Betty Hill, Museum, shops, cafe, and lots to do

The Strathnaver Museum is a great place to visit whilst in the Betty Hill area, plus there are great surfing beaches and wonderfull walks. Loads of wildlife otters, puffins, dolphins etc including the rich landscape.

The strathnaver trail is a great look into history regarding the Highland Clearances. Local cafe, shops, library, swimming pool,gym, campsite, B & B, Inn and hotel, churches, local crafts etc., made it a great place to stay.

Edited: 11 March 2011, 09:59
3 replies to this topic
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Betty Hill, Museum, shops, cafe, and lots to do

I have a friend who lives in Bettyhill, and the scenery is indeed spectacular, the beaches are within easy reach, the Strathnaver is an excellent place to learn about the Highland Clearances. This was when the Duke and Duchess of Sutherland decided that humans were worth less than sheep, so the locals were burned out of their homes, which is also why a lot of the Sutherland villages are on the coast, this was where they were forced to live, eating sea-weed and beach-combing for ' furniture '. Sadly the hotel has been closed for some time, but rumours are that it may soon re-open. There are also rumours that the church of Scotland may soon merge with the free church, holding joint services. As for the puffins, otters and dolphins, it's possible that they may be seen somewhere along this coastline, but in my frequent visits, I'm afraid I have'nt seen hide nor hair of these creatures. But..there are deer, two tame deer which will come to you for treats, further afield, there are great herds of wild deer. Two shops, one of which doubles as a post office, and the cafe beside the museum, plus the aforementioned pool and gym make up the rest of Bettyhill.

Yes, it's a great place to visit, but not to live in.

thurso
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Betty Hill, Museum, shops, cafe, and lots to do

for sightings of PUFFINS you need to go further along coast towards =Thurso near the boarder between the 2 counties a small space for parking exists and if you walk seawards along the old peat track you will discover them, late may/june I saw them. You should be alble to sea Harbour Porpoise etc. in the Strathy area.

Otters spotted in the Naver Estuary.. enjoy

ps last I heard the Hotel was under refurbishment and should be open again soon.

pps I hear the museum is putting on new exhibits re clearance villages soon.

Edited: 14 April 2011, 13:01
Vista
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Betty Hill, Museum, shops, cafe, and lots to do

Last month made my third visit to Scotland and had the BEST fish and chips ever at the Cafe at Betty hill, Sutherland. Made to order which my friend Helen and I took to a lookout point over the beach and ocean. A wonderful first meal in Sutherland!

Reply to: Betty Hill, Museum, shops, cafe, and lots to do
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Thurso