We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moray Firth: suggestions.....

Essex
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Moray Firth: suggestions.....

I have a 1 week (romantic) break booked for my girlfriend and I during easter this year and having never been to the Scottish Hylands before, I am keen to find out what activities are available for us to do and what places are worth visiting. We'll be staying in Eathie on the Black Isle and are hiring a car so there are no real limitations for where we can go. Basically, we want our break to be reasonably laid back (no specific time schedules) but we want to keep active. Additionally to stuff to keep us busy during the day, any suggestions for good eateries for the evening?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moray Firth: suggestions.....

You could go on a tour of a whisky distillery, a dolphin cruise on the Moray in search of the bottlenose dolphins, head out to Culloden, visit the Black Isle Brewery:http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/munlochy/blackislebrewery/index.html

or visit Fort George and try and spot the dolphins from the ramparts.

Plenty of relaxing things to do. Look deeper into the website above and also www.visitscotland.com for more ideas on eating out.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moray Firth: suggestions.....

You could visit the lovely little seaside town of Findhorn. It is about 45 minutes to an hour along the A96 from Inverness towards Aberdeen. Turn off this road just beyond the attractive town of Forres and it is only a short distance to Findhorn where you can take a lovely walk on the beach followed by a good meal at the Kimberly pub. Cawdor Castle and Gardens which is off the A96 between Inverness and Nairn is also worth a visit but check opening hours if you are going in low season.

An hours drive north of the Black Isle on the A9 will bring you to the lovely town of Dornoch which is on the edge of the Caithness and Sutherland area. If you enjoy the single track roads and exciting awe inspiring scenery head inland from there to Lairg and beyond. Just watch the time and daylight since driving at more than 40 miles an hour on these roads is not a good idea unless you are a local so it takes longer than you think to get places and facilites like petrol stations and shops are very few and far between. Have fun.

If you are used to Essex it will be like another world!

Scotland
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moray Firth: suggestions.....

On the Black Isle, Cromarty is a lovely little village, Rosemarkie and Fortrose also. Nothing specific, just good places to relax and explore.

Driving west you soon get into the wilder Highlands towards Ullapool. Corrieshalloch Gorge on that road is worth a look. If you want to keep going over to the west coast, the scenery is stunning. the roads are often slow so give yourselves plenty time and enjoy it!

If you wanted a good lunch on your drive, you could take a day trip to Applecross, crossing the Bealach na Ba ("Pass of the Cattle") which is the UK's highest road, I think. It'll take you about 3 hours each way but give yourselves longer and vary your outward and return routes. www.applecross.uk.com/inn/index.htm

To the North, you've Dornoch (a pretty village where Madonna chose to get married) and as much open space as you could ever wish.

Essex
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moray Firth: suggestions.....

Thanks guys thats a great help. Have you got any idea if I can hire out bicycles and go horseriding anywhere. Also, looking for some decent scenic walks to go on near to where we're staying. ??

5. Re: Moray Firth: suggestions.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 20:20