We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh--day trip--train or car??

Mons, Belgium
Level Contributor
90 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh--day trip--train or car??

Hello. 5 travelers staying in Inverness at the end of March.

I've heard that the train ride from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh is not to be missed. I've also heard that the drive is pretty amazing.

By train I suspect we will be limited to sites in Kyle of Lochalsh. A convenient place to see on foot? Aside from a yummy lunch is there much to see/do? Train schedule would allow for about 5 1/2 hours in town.

Do train/car travel different routes?

Your thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Lochalsh
Lochalsh
Scottish Highlands, UK
Mons, Belgium
Level Contributor
90 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh--day trip--train or car??

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm starting to think that the universe is telling me to drive! When I visited the ScotRail site provided I found the £18 fare. When I tried to search for times I found only a morning return--I can't imagine that is correct. I went to another area of the site (timetables and maps) and tried to access the information for:

North Highland Lines: Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh, Thurso and Wick; Inverness - London Sleepers; Western Isles and Orkney ferries (445kB)

Opened in a new window which was and remains blank!

I'll try again later and will try the searches using different days. We can always buy our tickets in Inverness--there appears to be no reason to book early. Just wanted to say thanks first.

I'm actually leaning toward the train for one reason--single track roads. My husband likes to drive but he will find those stressful.

Mentioned in this post
ScotRail
ScotRail
53 Reviews
Inverness, UK
Lochalsh
Lochalsh
Scottish Highlands, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh--day trip--train or car??

The post about single track roads was misleading - the road fropm Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh is a good main road and is double track throughout. You will only find single track roads if you explore the side roads.

I have to say that although the train ride is nice, with five of you travelling it will be a whole lot cheaper in your car. Also, if you take the car you will be able to explore a bit around Kyle when you get there. I do recommend Plockton.

Mentioned in this post
Lochalsh
Lochalsh
Scottish Highlands, UK
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
7,090 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh--day trip--train or car??

In response to the last poster, he's right in one sense. If you take the road the Loch Ness road it's a bit twisty in places but not single track until Kyle of Lochalsh.

But it is single track then and there's not much point in taking the car unless you're going to drive round a bit and explore!

If you go only for the day then I still strongly recommend Plockton rather than Kyle of Lochalsh.

Food in Plockton is amazing at Plockton Inn, Plockton Hotel and Plockton Shores for your yummy lunch!

Public transport in the area is almost non existent so be sure to have that taxi number if necessary.

If time allows in your schedule you could consider an overnight stay in Plockton and take the car to see more of the area.

Or check out organised day trips from Inverness.

On Scotrail Home page I find it works best if you just look for the leisure section then select "Buy Tickets", on next page select "All UK Tickets". You can then go right through all time and cost options stopping short of actually buying.

Mon - Sat trains leave Inverness around 845am and 9.45am, arriving around 1120 and 1320am. Return journey dep around 0725am, 1200 or 1648pm so your choices are limited.

Avoid Sunday, few trains and some places closed.

Mentioned in this post
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Lochalsh
Lochalsh
Scottish Highlands, UK
Inverness
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh--day trip--train or car??

It is a tough one. The train is very nice, but you would benefit from 2 spectacular routes going by car. It is a 2 hour drive either way. In the car you could go over the bridge to Skye and visit Kyleakin,Broadford and Portree.

If you are happy to drive, I would go this way to see more of landscape.

Route 1-Inverness-Drumnadrochit-Kyle of Lochalsh

Route 2- Kyle of Lochalsh-Dingwall-Inverness

Mentioned in this post
Lochalsh
Lochalsh
Scottish Highlands, UK
Inverness
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh--day trip--train or car??

Forgot to say.

The roads are fine, in fact they can be great to drive.

Their is no single track roads in your journey, apart from a small strech of about 7km.

I would say the drive would be considered easy

16. Re: Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh--day trip--train or car??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 07:20