We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inverness Airport to Aviemore.

Mexico
Level Contributor
228 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Inverness Airport to Aviemore.

Hi.

We will be traveling to Inverness in June but we'd like to know how we can get from Inverness airport to Aviemore: by train or by taxi. We will get by 11:00 A.M.

Which of them is less expensive and approximately how much?

Which of them is the best option? (we are 4)

Is far Inverness train station from the airport?

Thanks in advance for your advices.

=o)

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inverness Airport to Aviemore.

The airport is 9 miles east of Inverness.

There is a bus which will take you into the City Centre and from there you can get a train to Aviemore.

A taxi could be considered as there is 4 of you but only to get you from the airport to Inverness to get the train to Aviemore.

Aviemore is too far to go by taxi from Inverness.

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Inverness Airport to Aviemore.

Where are you staying in Aviemore? Macdonald Resorts can arrange transport from Inverness airport to Aviemore. I don't know the cost but perhaps worth checking if you are staying at any of their accommodations. Other than that I agree with fofoma.

Have a great holiday and as I stay in Inverness please feel free to ask for any advice.

Mexico
Level Contributor
228 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inverness Airport to Aviemore.

Hi.

We'll be staying at the Hilton Coylumbridge. I was asking about a taxi because I found this information on Hilton webpage.

"From Inverness Airport, taxis are available to take you directly to the Hilton Coylumbridge hotel. The journey normally takes around 1 hour from the airport to the hotel."

But maybe it is not a good idea, what can you recommend us to get from Inverness airport to this hotel?

Thanks in advance.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inverness Airport to Aviemore.

Advice remains the same or you could think about picking up a hire car at the airport - you would probably find it useful for your stay at Coylumbridge.

If you do travel by train then just pick up a taxi at the station to take you the short journey to the hotel.

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Inverness Airport to Aviemore.

Hi Rocco,

If you are staying at the Hilton Colyumbridge I would agree with Fofoma about hiring a car. The hotel is quite a distance from the village with nothing much beside it. To drive from the airport to Aviemore is not complicated and you only skirt the edge of Inverness. There are many interesting places to visit in the area but without a car it would take up a lot of time travelling by public transport!

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inverness Airport to Aviemore.

Hi,

I agree with Jade. I would hire a car from the airport. As said above, the Hilton is a fair walk away from Aviemore town centre and other interesting places.

When are you coming up? If you look for events and things to do while your there have a look at www.visitaviemore and www.greaterspeyside.com. The last one also has a link to Enetrprise rent a car on the web site. I've used them a few times and always impressed with their service. They don't have an office at the airport but they will pick you up from the airport. Much cheaper then taxi and your far more flexible.

Let me know if you need more help or advice. I live in Inverness and travel to Aviemore/Grantown at least twice a week for business.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Rene

Austin
Level Contributor
910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inverness Airport to Aviemore.

Rent a car.

We had exactly the same dilemma three years ago when we stayed at the Hilton after landing at Inverness.

After looking up the different segments:

1. Bus, airport to city center

2. Train, Inverness to Aviemore

3. Taxi, Aviemore train station to Coylumbridge Hilton

(Drats, I actually plugged them into a spreadsheet but they must be on my old computer.)

...and multiplying them by 3, it was clear that renting a car was the less expensive option. (And don't forget the schlepp factor...) Of course, you have to factor in the cost of gasoline, but it still ended up being a good deal.

I also contacted two hire car and driver services and their quotes were very very expensive.

We got an amazingly good deal on Avis, but that was a fluke. (Lesson: check all rental agencies, even the ones that are usually the more expensive options.) Inverness Airport has many rental car agencies, and picking up the rental car is a breeze.

The drive to Aviemore and on to Coylumbridge is very straightforward and scenic. My husband drove after an overnight transatlantic flight without any trouble.

You would probably want a car in Aviemore anyway. The food at the hotel is not good (except for the breakfasts, which are decent) so you will want to go out for dinner. Also, as the other poster points out, there is SO MUCH to see in the area that requires a car.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inverness Airport to Aviemore.

Yep - hire a car at the airport and drive to Aviemore - you WILL need a car to get around and see the area.

Hilton Coylumbridge is in a beautiful setting with all the delights of Rothiemurchus and the Cairngorm National Park on your doorstep. The walks in the area are very beautiful p lease visit Loch an Eilein on Rothiemurchus estate.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inverness Airport to Aviemore.

Yes definitely a must with the castle in the middle of the loch. It's beautiful. Loch Garten is also a gorgeous place to visit.

10. Re: Inverness Airport to Aviemore.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 21:19