We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inverness to thurso train

Dublin
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
inverness to thurso train

We will be travelling from Inverness to Thurso by train end april/early may. Is there much to see from the train? Is the catering ok or should we bring a packed lunch? Which is the best side to sit on the train? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,561 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: inverness to thurso train

I don't know this particular route but generally catering on trains is rubbish and expensive. Better to pay a visit to Marks& Spencer in Inverness before you go and store up with sumptious treats to picnic on as you enjoy the scenery of the train journey.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: inverness to thurso train

I agree with 3 Nations - the M&S in Inverness is just a short hop from the train station and will provide much nicer stuff to eat.

You won't be disappointed with the scenery and at that time of year, Scotland will be clothed in her Springtime green. Facing the engine sit on the RHS for sea views.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: inverness to thurso train

'Facing the engine'........

Sorry to disappoint, DublinQueen, but there isn't an engine - or at least there wasn't when I last travelled on this route. :-(

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: inverness to thurso train

DHMellor - sorry those of us old enough to remember engines forget!! I should have said facing the direction of travel or the driver....

Dublin
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: inverness to thurso train

Thanks very much for your suggestions,that's great info. Last time we were in Scotland we did a trip from Edinburgh over to Skye up to Inverness and back down to Edinburgh. This time we thought we would start in Inverness and go further north and across to Orkney. We will certainly follow your advices.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: inverness to thurso train

Harry Gows is a local baker which sells soups, rolls and cakes etc. It is Very Nice and it is on Union Street oppisite the train station.

7. Re: inverness to thurso train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 06:24