We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

highlands where to go?

greece
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
highlands where to go?

we are visiting scotland at the first days of May

we are staying 4 days in Inverness in order to travel around Highlands

Could anyone tell me what is really worthy of visiting in Highlands?

thnak you!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: highlands where to go?

If it was me, I would just follow the road aroind the coast,north and west of Inverness.

Shame you have to go back to Inverness every night, but it should be perfectly feasible in a series of day trips.

EG Day 1 - Wick, Duncansby Head (giant sea stacks andcliffs, Dunnet Head (northerly point of GB mainland); Bettyhill, then south through now empty Strathnaver to Inverness.

Day 2 - North-west via Lairg to Tongue and Durness,then south. Turn east at Laxford Bridge and head back to base.

Day 3 - Head west. Explore around Ullapool and Gairloch and even Applecross if you have time.

Day 4 Skye. Fast roads. More stunning scenery.

Apologies if you wanted castles, museums and tea rooms.

greece
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: highlands where to go?

A whole plan...thank you!

tea rooms??i never thought about it...

but castles..essential to our travel pary!!

Thanks again

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: highlands where to go?

You could of course vary the routes to suit your stamina, but be aware that many roads are single track with passing places and consequently slow.

This site will fill in the blanks I have left and also desrcibe driving practice on single-track roads.

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk

Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: highlands where to go?

Maybe include checkin out Torridon if you're going to head to Applecross, if time permits. It really is a spectacular place scenery-wise.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: highlands where to go?

Yes - hippo is correct. If you want to miss something out due to lack of time, then leave Day 1's route for another time. Focus on the west coast...Sandwood Bay - possibly the best beach in Britain, Lochinver, Sheildaig...Plockton, Elgol....etc.

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,496 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: highlands where to go?

And no one has even mentioned the Central Highlands -and The Cairngorms National Park! So I'll do it...!

You haven't said what you want to see apart from Castles and Scenery and we have both in bucket loads.

I would suggest driving down into the National Park from Inverness on the A9 and turning off at Aviemore(the 2nd exit - that way you avoid the village)

Look out for signs saying Cairngorm Mountain and Glenmore Forest Park.(It will take you about 40 minutes to do the drive)

It's worth a drive up the ski road to the mountain as it is very scenic.

Stop off at Rothiemurchus Visitor Centre and buy an Explorer Ticket for £1.50 which gives you free parking for one person at Loch an Eilein. This is a beautiful place to have a walk around the loch, which has a ruined castle in the middle.

www.rothiemurchus.net

You also get 3 maps of the area for walking so I suggest you get out of your car and enjoy some of the beautiful clean air we have an abundance of. Bring layers of clothing - it may still be quite chilly in May!

The ticket also gives you free entry into Inverdruie Fish Farm where you can feed the fish, and (This is the exciting part) you may see Ospreys fishing. Ospreys are large white birds of prey which we worship in Scotland as they were once extinct. Now they have been successfully reintroduced and are doing quite well.

Also along the same road you will see the Reindeer Centre - have you ever seen reindeer?

www.reindeer-company.demon.co.uk

You can travel up the mountain on Cairngorm Funicular railway which takes you up in less than 8 minutes to a height of approx 4,000 feet.

www.cairngormmountain.com

Meanwhile about 6 or 7 miles out of Inverness is Culloden Visitor Centre which is a fantastic exhibition about The Battle of Culloden, if you want to pick up some information about Scottish History.

You are very near the Black Isle from Inverness and you may want to go and stand at Chanonry Point to see the dolphins(the most northerly pod of bottlenose dolphins in the world)

These may or may not be the kind of things you are looking to do but the information is there if you want it.

For more information on castles visit this website because they have a great map showing the locations of all the castles in the Inverness area, amongst other things too of course!

www.greaterspeyside.com

Just move the mouse over the little castle icon and it brings up the name.

Not sure how you are getting to Inverness but if you are driving up the A9 from Edinburgh you may want to stop off at Blair Castle in Blair Atholl which you pass the doorstep of if you ARE driving.

www.blair-castle.co.uk

Have a wonderful holiday

Regards

Woody x

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: highlands where to go?

HI,

How about a steam train ride from Fort William to Mallaig.Its a fantastic journey with wonderful scenery to view.The train station in Fort William is based opposite Fort William town.

How about Cairngorm National Park (Aviemore)travel on UK"s highest mountain railway.Also stop of and browse around Aviemore,enjoy lunch in the Mountain cafe in Aviemore town.

How about Highland Folk museum in Kingussie and Newtonmore.The museum is indoor/outdoor,showing you highland life over the past centuries,from work on the croft to school days,ancient crafts to community life.There is lots to see and do here.Its a good half day trip and entrance fee is free.I highly recommend a visit here.See my photo"s on my profile as it will give you an idea of what is at the museum.www.highlandfolk.com

How about Fort Augustus,The Caladonian Canal.Its well worth a visit.There is a visitors centre in Fort Augustus.

Also in Kingussie visit the ruins of Ruthven Barracks,its beautiful to see at night.(free entrance)

If you like castles visit Castle of Mey in Caithness,former holiday home of the late Queen Mother.

I hope you enjoy your visit.

greece
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: highlands where to go?

many ideas!!!i'm very grateful!

we will rent a car, so we will take advantage of it as much as we can

we want to enjoy beautiful views and definitely visit castles

we will discuss these options...and i think i will be back to you with questions during the next days...

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: highlands where to go?

Cawdor Castle

Dunrobin Castle

Tauranga
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: highlands where to go?

North of Inverness is a delightful little town called Dornock where they say the last witch in Scotland met her end. Its a lovely drive and theres a Whiskey Distillery on the way.. We thought the rail trip from Inverness to Kyle very over rated and had been really looking forward to it. We found the best part of Scotland to be the Western Isle , particulary Harris, Skye, Mull etc but these all include ferry trips. However there are "island hopping" trips you can take in a day. The scenery, particularly on Harris and Mull is stunning. Its a different world.

If you can't manage this with having to go back to

Inverness every night, I would agree with the person who said stick to the west coast starting with Skye and then Plockton and onward.

Enjoy your trip.

Get answers to your questions about Inverness
Recent Conversations