We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sights in/around Inverness

Which Inverness hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Sights in/around Inverness

I am going to be in Scotland for a month of golf / castles / distilleries. I have all my golf booked. Now I am looking into the other sites/attractions.

Can anyone help out with what interesting sights I should plan on taking in while I am in Inverness for a few days of golf? I'll have a car, so can get to somethings in the general area.

The plan is 1/2 day of golf and 1/2 day of sightseeing. Without knowing much at all, my mind is gravitating towards castles and distilleries (if appropriate for this area of the country).

I'll be posting similar inquiries to the forums for the other areas of Scotland I'll be traveling to!

Thanks,

Joe

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sights in/around Inverness

Cawdor Castle

Culloden Battlefield and Clava Cairns

Trondheim
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sights in/around Inverness

These three are all north/west of Inverness, and within 35 miles:

* Glen Ord Distillery

* Dalmore Distillery

* Glenmorangie Distillery

16 miles to the south and you'd reach Tomatin Distillery.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sights in/around Inverness

excellent! thanks so much!

Europe
Level Contributor
69 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sights in/around Inverness

(One of)The most picturesque castle to visit is Eilean Donan, then drive across to Isle of Skye or along the coast down to Gairloch or up pass Aultbea. Glen Ord distillery tour is worth while, their Singleton that you will get to taste is full of Highland's "terrior" character. Loved the area and are heading back in August-can't wait!

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sights in/around Inverness

I would definitely second Culloden Battlefield and Fort George too. What about the Black Isle Brewery? It's just across the Kessock Bridge from Inverness.

www.blackislebrewery.com

It's an alternative to Whisky and they do free tastings!

The whisky distillery at Tomatin is just outside Inverness.

www.tomatin.com

For a stunning drive if you have time drive down from Tomatin to Findhorn Valley and Coignafearn Lodge. It's a single track road with beautiful scenery to a remote glen where red deer roam on the hillsides and you may even spot a Golden Eagle....if that is of interest to you!

Speyside has many beautiful castles and distilleries. Check out this website

www.greaterspeyside.com

The first page shows the locations of distilleries and castles in the area.

If you have time I would suggest a drive down to the Cairngorms National Park. A visit to Rothiemurchus Estate and Loch an Eilein with the ruined castle in the middle of the loch is very beautiful

www.rothiemurchus.net

You may also enjoy the drive up to Cairngorm Mountain and a journey on the funicular railway.

www.cairngormmountain.com

It will only take you about an hour's drive from Inverness and the scenery is very beautiful

Enjoy your trip

Woody x

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sights in/around Inverness

Kind of depends where your golf is, what distillery or attraction will work for your 1/2 and 1/2 days.

For example, Clynelish distillery is close to Brora golf club, Glenmorangie is in Tain so good for when playing either Tain or Dornoch, Dalmore is also on the road from Inverness to Tain and Dornoch, while Tomatin is on the road to Boat of Garten.

Culloden is close to Nairn and Castle Stuart courses.

7. Re: Sights in/around Inverness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2009, 05:34