We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for B&B's

Pambula, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for B&B's

Looking for suggestions for B&B's around the Inverness end of Loch Ness. Also the most scienic drive from Inverness to Braemar.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for B&B's

I can recommend the Gatehouse B&B, Dunhallin, Furan, Atholdene, Evergreen B&B and Creevale B&B, all getting good reviews here.

I have to drive the Inverness to Braemar road quite often and love it. I personally drive down to Carrbridge, Grantown on Spey, Tomintoul and Ballater (A939) but you can also go via Nairn and then South which is more scenic. The bit between Grantown and Tomintoul is my favourite bit.

Hope this helps, enjoy your stay in Scotland!

Rene

Pambula, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for B&B's

Thank you Rene I will have a look at your suggestions.

I am sure I will enjoy my visit.....it will be my 3rd and I can't wait! I LOVE SCOTLAND! :-)

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,504 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for B&B's

On the road Rene mentions you do not go through Ballater to get to Braemar - just in case you are confused by any signposts on the way! Watch out for the VERY humpback bridge just before (?Invercauld Lodge) Presume you will just be in a car because anything with a long wheel base may get stuck - you will see what I mean when you get there - and you MUST stop to take a photo(after parking carefully!) If you have time when in Braemar I would recommend a quick trip to Linn of Dee or Glen Quoich (both great for a picnic if you are not just passing through the area) - you can get a map from the T.I. in Braemar and its also signposted in the town.

Enjoy your journey

Woody x

Edited: 18 July 2010, 16:26
Crathie
Level Contributor
859 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for B&B's

The building near the General Wade bridge which woodybark mentions is Gairnshiel Lodge http://www.gairnshiellodge.co.uk/ and yes, you should try to take a picture of the bridge it if you can. Do watch the parking though! I've seen coaches almost come aground on that bridge. The last time there were three obviously travelling together which off loaded all passengers who crossed on foot, then boarded again on the other side.

Agree about the Linn of Dee and the Linn of Quoich, both lovely places for a stroll and/or a picnic.

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,504 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for B&B's

Thanks sownack - could not remember the name of it! What always amazes me is that even though the road is signposted as being unsuitable for coaches and HGVs they just use it anyway. Just hope they don't damage the bridge.

Woody x

Crathie
Level Contributor
859 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for B&B's

No problem woodybark! I wonder if people do see the signs, but ignore them? As you say, it would be a great shame if the bridge got damaged.

Pambula, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for B&B's

Gee thanks guys......great ideas, we are soooooo looking forward to seeing more of beautiful Scotland!

Inverness, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for B&B's

Why not try something different like a serviced apartment? It would give you more space and still be a reasonable price.

There are a few in the city. The kingsmills have ones on the edge of the city or the By the Bridge Apartments are right in the centre of town with parking. There are also some in the crown area.

Rena

9. Re: Suggestions for B&B's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2011, 05:17