We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

Alberta
Level Contributor
669 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

Hello, will be visiting Edinburgh in August. My daughters would like to go on a boat cruise of Loch Ness. Wondering if we should take a tour bus, or just take the train to Inverness and do it on our own. Thoughts and comments would be most appreciated.

WOW Scotland Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Distillery Tours
Happy Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Distillery Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Rabbie's
Historical & Heritage Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
The Hebridean Explorer
Cultural Tours, Distillery Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
110 replies to this topic
Williamstown...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

We are definitely visiting Loch Ness because we will be driving through from Speyside to Isle of Skye. We will try not to part with all our money there, but we must take a boat ride!

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

Many moons ago I took a bus tour from Inverness to Loch Ness. It rated as one of the highlights to my visit to that part of Scotland, no I didn't see 'Nessy', but spent the day being entertained by the crazy? tales our tour guide told, and finished with a trip to a whisky distillery. The day was great fun, the weather was wet and dreary but it didn't matter, we were warm and dry and laughing so hard our tummies hurt!

Columbia...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

jacobite.co.uk/Cruises-And-Tours/Our-Cruises… Someone mentioned this cruise company on another post. You can cruise from Inverness through the Caledonian Canal to Loch Ness, stopping at Urquhart Castle, or not, depending on which cruise you take.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,734 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

I would recommend stopping at Urquhart Castle, I have been there a few time when family and friends visiting. If you head straight to Drumnadochit you can book an hour boat tour at the car park next to the post office and opposite of the pub, it was quite enjoyable.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

I would recommend staying in Inverness and doing a tour from there. Why stay in the industrial central belt of Scotland when all the best scenery is accessible from Inverness.

As for Loch Ness, it is unique. It is 23 miles long, a mile wide and over 750 feet deep. It contains more water than all the lakes, rivers and reservoirs of England and Wales combined, including the English Lake District. It is not pretty, but is majestically impressive. It is also unspoilt and the tourist attractions are, unlike Loch Lomond, with one exception in villages away from the loch.

In the same day as seeing Loch Ness from Inverness you can also visit the Isle of Skye or the stunning Caledonian Forest of Glen Affric.

If you can't come up and visit the Highlands from Inverness then better leave it until another year rather than do it on one of the day trips from Edinburgh in my opinion.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

[It is also unspoilt and the tourist attractions are, unlike Loch Lomond, with one exception in villages away from the loch.]

Is this a joke? Loch Ness should not be mentioned in the same breath as Loch Lomond and the National Park. We have some of the best scenery in the world and I am not sure where the "industrial central belt" came from?

37. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2012, 16:04

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

It is disappointing to see your questions answered by people trying to push you to other locations. Your question is quite specific and should be respected.

Firstly Loch Ness is part of a wider experience in the Highlands and if you are going to visit it then this is far better done from Inverness rather than on a "pedal to the metal" tour from the Capital involving up to a 400 mile round trip.

You can get to Inverness very inexpensively by MegaBus or using a ScotRail pass and accommodation in the Highlands is significantly cheaper than in Edinburgh. Once in the Highlands you have a number of options to see Loch Ness either on an organised bus and boat trip or in more detail with a private tour. Google "tours to loch ness from inverness" and don't get side-tracked by the paid ads at the top. Alternatively you can walk the Great Glen Way along the hills to the north or the South Loch Ness Trail or hire mountain bikes. Don't miss nearby Glen Affric.

If you do decide to do a bus trip from Edinburgh, be sure it is at least two days or you really will experience very little of our wonderful Highlands, and that primarily from the inside of a crowded minibus. Far better to skip Loch Ness on this trip and come back another time. The Highlands deserves more respect than an out-and-back tour from the central belt can provide.

So fine on your own, but best done from an Inverness base avoiding one-day out and back tours from the highly populated south.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

Your comment about the Nessie myth is interesting. Try Googling the Loch Ness Understood or the Loch Ness Nessie and Me books to get the full story. They also contain a guide to visiting the loch.

The VisitLochNess.com website is also a useful resource.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh

Tony, your post would have been more credible had you not been on a self promotion trip. Disappointing.

(Oh and by the way, there is no monster in Loch Ness no matter how you paint it.)

Reply to: Loch Ness on our own, or tour bus from Edinburgh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted