I am planning the itinerary for our 10 day self-driving trip to Scotland this summer and I would appreciate any advice on planned overnights. I am not sure how to lay out nights 5, 6, and 7. (We are visiting castles, glens, churches, ruins, and beautiful places - very short hikes.)
1. Fly into Glascow - drive to B&B by Loch Lomond (night 1)
2. Tour area - head to Oban for overnight (night 2) - must see Glencoe
3. Tour area - head to Skye for 2 nights (night 3 & 4)
4. Nights 5, 6, and 7?
* Once we leave Skye I am wondering if we should plan to stay 2 or 3 nights in the Inverness area to take in Applecross area, Culloden area, etc. and then go make the next overnight in Edinburgh? (Yes, I read Outlander, at least 3 times.)
* Or, would it be better to skip Applecross and try to get in some of the castles/villages in the East? I was thinking we would to leave the East for another trip.
* Or should we try to get to the Orkney Islands for a day - or save that for another trip?
5. 2 nights in Edinburgh (nights 7 & 8 - already have Tatoo tickets)
6. Last night by Glasgow Airport (night 9)
Any advice is appreciated.