We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skye to Inverness, with Applecross? Or head East?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Skye to Inverness, with Applecross? Or head East?

Hello,

I am planning the itinerary for our 10 day self-driving trip to Scotland this summer and I would appreciate any advice on planned overnights. I am not sure how to lay out nights 5, 6, and 7. (We are visiting castles, glens, churches, ruins, and beautiful places - very short hikes.)

1. Fly into Glascow - drive to B&B by Loch Lomond (night 1)

2. Tour area - head to Oban for overnight (night 2) - must see Glencoe

3. Tour area - head to Skye for 2 nights (night 3 & 4)

4. Nights 5, 6, and 7?

* Once we leave Skye I am wondering if we should plan to stay 2 or 3 nights in the Inverness area to take in Applecross area, Culloden area, etc. and then go make the next overnight in Edinburgh? (Yes, I read Outlander, at least 3 times.)

* Or, would it be better to skip Applecross and try to get in some of the castles/villages in the East? I was thinking we would to leave the East for another trip.

* Or should we try to get to the Orkney Islands for a day - or save that for another trip?

5. 2 nights in Edinburgh (nights 7 & 8 - already have Tatoo tickets)

6. Last night by Glasgow Airport (night 9)

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

Maureen

WOW Scotland
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Distillery Tours
Happy Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Distillery Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Rabbie's
Historical & Heritage Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
The Hebridean Explorer
Cultural Tours, Distillery Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,961 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skye to Inverness, with Applecross? Or head East?

Forget Orkney. Its not practical as a day trip.

Inverness is nowhere near Appliecross. No point in travelling to Inverness as a base to drive back to Applecross,

In my opinion, the best scenery in Scotland is north and west and Applecross is right there. It's stunning. You could spend several days in Wester Ross if you enjoy stunning views, mountains and beaches, but there's not a lot in the way of castles etc which seems to be a big attraction for visitors. If you're not so much into wild places you might have had enough of this after Skye.

If you want large towns - Inverness? - castles, battlefields, churches etc, you might be happier heading south and east. There is the castle trail in Aberdeenshire which might suit you and the East Neuk of Fife with some of the most interesting villages in Scotland

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skye to Inverness, with Applecross? Or head East?

It's such a short trip, there's no time to do west, east and Orkney, as the goodwitch points out.

My suggestion would be to spend one more night on Skye, which will give you two clear days to tour this wonderful (and large!) island.

You say you are wondering where to spend nights 5, 6 and 7, but then later you say you will be spending night 7 in Edinburgh. If that's the case, and you want to visit Culloden, then I suggest you head straight from Skye to Inverness, visiting Eilean Donan Castle en route, spend one night in Inverness (night 6) and then head to Edinburgh.

Edited: 31 January 2012, 09:38
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skye to Inverness, with Applecross? Or head East?

Hi,

I echo the previous replies. You would have a more relaxed trip if you choose either west or east. Skye and Wester Ross is beautiful, rugged coastline and mountains, with plenty to appeal to tourists in terms of walks, beaches, sealife, birds, photography and spectacular sunsets across the ocean. The East does have more in the way of Castles and Distilleries, and has some nice fishing ports. There is plenty overlap, and I am sure you would enjoy either location.

My preference (for what it is worth), would be to continue as planned with your visit to Skye, and then to stick around Applecross/Torridon/Gairloch for a couple of nights (5 and 6?), before heading back south, via Inverness (A9) if you want to see Culloden, or down the west side (A82) if not.

I would have a look at some route planning websites and the Undiscovered Scotland site for inspiration.

Abs :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skye to Inverness, with Applecross? Or head East?

We did 10 days self drive of Scotland Oct 10. I would consider more than 1 day in Edinburgh as it is a lovely town. We only had one full day and wished we had another.

Also, we flew into Edinburgh and out of it. We drove across to the west coast and Oban for 2 nights and then stayed in Dornie for 3 nights doing the Wester Ross round drive in a day and a day on Skye. 1st day we drove from Oban taking a brief run in and out of Glen Coe. Dornie is the village that has Eilean Donan Castle as it's backdrop and is on three adjoining lochs. It is wee but gives you the incite into how people live in a small community. I loved this area. The trip list does say 10 days but we flew out on the 10th day to Ireland at lunchtime. So really 9 days.

Here is the trip list.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i23198-Loch_…

This is my trip wow of photos in order of travel if interested. Have reviews of places we stayed en route at the top of each.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00cb-5dec-98e2

Very pleasantly surprised at the beauty of Scotland...so ruggedly so!

Edited: 03 February 2012, 00:49
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skye to Inverness, with Applecross? Or head East?

OOOps

Meant to say I have reviews of places we stayed at the top of each entry on the trip list not the trip wow...silly me!

Niec

6. Re: Skye to Inverness, with Applecross? Or head East?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2013, 10:35