We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highlights of Scotland

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
112 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Highlights of Scotland

I'm looking for advice/suggestions for things to do/see on our short trip through Scotland.

We arrive into Glasgow Airport on July 7, and are picking up a rental car. We'll be making our way to Ft. William where we'll spend the night at Inverlochy Castle. Suggestions of things to do/see on our way?

The next day we make our way to Inverness to stay at Culloden House. Suggestions?

The next day we head back to Edinburgh where we'll spend 2 nights at the Balmoral Hotel. What is there to see/do on this route?

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
733 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highlights of Scotland

Lots of posts on the forum answer your questions. Check out "7 days in Scotland, " for example. Get back to us with more specifics, please.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highlights of Scotland

Well by your hotel choices I can see you are on a tight budget(!!!)

When at Culloden House you MUST go to see the battlefield exhibition centre if thats your thing and don't miss Clava Cairns whilst there but I'm sure your hotel will have all the information given that it was also the headquarters of Bonnie Prince Charlie before the aforementioned battle

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/…

You may also want to pop up to the little village of Findhorn with its charming beach and cottages and maybe get the little ferrry across to Roseisle Forest for a bracing walk by the sea

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/findhorn/findhorn…

Pop into the Kimberley Inn for a pint and a snack if its that time of day - I would highly recommend it.

IF you are heading back to Edinburgh on the main A9 route then a stop at House of Bruar for a coffee and some retail therapy or slightly further south Blair Castle at Blair Atholl is a good half way stopping point

http://www.blair-castle.co.uk/

http://www.houseofbruar.com/

there are also further towns of interest such as Pitlochry and Dunkeld along the route.

The alternative route from Inverness would be to leave the A9 at the turnoff for Carrbridge (take a slight detour to see the actual bridge the village was named after!)

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/carrbridge/carrbr…

and head towards Grantown on Spey on the A938 then up the A939 to Tomintoul which is the high level route down towards Braemar - another pretty village where you can make a stop for lunch or coffee. If you are interested in whisky, the Whisky Castle in Tomintoul may be the place to stop for a few gifts to take home.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/grantownonspey/gr…

http://www.whiskycastle.com/

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/braemar/braemar/

On a nice clear day the drive alone is worth the effort with views a plenty on the southbound journey which passes through two of the main ski areas in Scotland (The Lecht and Glenshee)

The road will take you down through Blairgowrie then head for Perth and on to the motorway for Edinburgh. I'm sure you will have SAT NAV in your car or can plan your route ahead from each hotel you stay at via the internet.

I plan to do this exact route with friends visiting me from the USA this year so it comes recommended and will not disappoint (and is SO much quieter than the A9)

Good luck

If you need more info just ask

regards

Woody x

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
112 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highlights of Scotland

Thank you so much for the great suggestions Woody! I'll do my research on all the things you've listed. I would rather take the scenic/interesting route instead of just the main highway. I really want to go to Balmoral Castle in Braemar.Is it worth a visit? I'm sure I'll have more questions when I get into my research.

Thanks again! I'm so excited for our trip.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highlights of Scotland

Don't know if its worth a visit or not as I have never been although we pass it regularly on the road from Blairgowrie to Grantown on Spey!!

http://www.balmoralcastle.com/

http://www.balmoralcastle.com/admissions.htm

I believe the entrance fee limits you to few rooms and the gardens but that may be enough to satisfy your curiosity.

Good luck with all your planning - its exciting to plan your trip and anticipate it

W x

scotland
Level Contributor
258 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highlights of Scotland

Depends very much what you're looking for - things to do/see/views/food/exhibits/buildings. We have it all in Scotland. D

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highlights of Scotland

Hi.

My highlight, based on your route, would be simple. Eat dinner at Number One, the Michelin starred restaurant at the Balmoral. Stunning dining room. Stunning food. Gracious waiting staff. Best dining experience of my life, a true Scottish gem. :)

Abs

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highlights of Scotland

And girlsaroundtheworld - your highlights would be what?? - THAT'S what the OP is looking for....

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highlights of Scotland

Jennifer,

We did our trip last June. Our highlights were castles (25+ of them), some well appointed beautiful palaces, some ruins in good repair, some ruins all but fallen down. Some included beautiful gardens and parkland, some not so much. 2nd on highlights were scenery, mtns, lochs, farms and pasture. Also distilleries (only a couple), whisky and pubs. Also some nice, wee walks. Mostly meeting a lot of really wonderful and colorful people. We visited a few museums while in Edinburgh. Also some nice towns outside of EDI.

Would have loved to been there for the Fringe and the Royal Tattoo.

SO let me ask, what intrigues you about Balmoral? We visited and enjoyed it, didn't get to the resturant mentioned, that sounds great!! There are things about Balmoral that you won't get anywhere else (well excluding , Holyrood Palace). THere are also things that are better elsewhere. Let me know what your are hoping for and I'll be happy to expand on it.

Kevin

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
112 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Highlights of Scotland

we want to do a whiskey tasting-which one would you recommend?

10. Re: Highlights of Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 February 2012, 07:06