We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland Trip Planning.

Bengaluru...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Scotland Trip Planning.

Hi - My wife and I plan to visit Scotland during the month of June (11 - 18). Intend to spend the first 2 nights in Edinburgh and then 4 nights in Inverness and a night in Glasgow. We intend to rent a car for the Inverness - Glasgow part of the trip. What we want to see - castles, the famous Scotland scenery and visit a few distilleries. What are the suggestions for planning a detailed itinerary around this ? Points like what routes to take while going from Edinburgh to Inverness and the return to Glasgow, Day trips from Inverness (Loch Ness, Isle of Skye, etc.), Places to visit, etc. would be highty appreciated.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,586 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland Trip Planning.

OK - from Inverness you can visit Skye but I would maybe give yourselves 3 nights in Inverness (unless already booked and unchangeable) and then head over to Skye and overnight there giving you time to see more of the island - then head down to Glasgow. It seems the logical route to take.

From Edinburgh to Inverness - I am assuming you are driving - you have the choice of two main routes. The A9 which is the main road to Inverness from Perth allowing you stops along the way at the likes of Dunkeld, Pitlochry, Blair Castle. House of Bruar (and Bruar Falls) Aviemore for Loch an Eilein and then on to Inverness.

The other (more scenic) route takes you via Perth, (A93)Blairgowrie, Braemar, (A939) Tomintoul, Grantown on Spey, Carrbridge and on to Inverness.

I would suggest looking at the Undiscovered Scotland website and doing some research on what best suits your needs using the place names I have given you to look into the stops in more detail.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

By using this website you can see in great detail the areas you would be passing through - hopefully you already have some idea of Scotland's geography but you would mainly be travelling through West central index, Angus Index and North Central Index on the way to Inverness from Edinburgh. You can click on any of the highlighted green town or area names to get more information once you have clicked onto the red circled town sites.

In my opinion Blair Castle is not to be missed but the more scenic route I mentioned is wonderful on a clear day with beautiful views and much less traffic although the road is twisty and needs concentration!

To combine the more scenic route with Blair Castle would mean backtracking to Pitlochry and crossing the A924 to Bridge of Cally - not an unpleasant detour but time consuming nevertheless.

In Inverness you are fairly well placed for visiting distilleries in Speyside and along the Moray Coast - this map will help you plan

http://www.greaterspeyside.com/

You can easily drive around Loch Ness from Inverness by going down the B852 through Dores and Foyers to Fort Augustus and back up the A82 or vice versa. There are also boat trips on the loch from Inverness which, in my opinion gives you better views and if you can factor a visit to Urquhart Castle as well then so much the better

http://www.jacobite.co.uk/

I would also recommend a visit to Culloden Battlefield and Clava Cairns if history is of interest to you - its only about 15 minutes from Inverness.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/…

You will find a link to Clava Cairns on the right hand side of the feature page.

If you have any questions after wading through all this information please feel free to ask

Have a great trip - hope the weather is good for you and you get to see Scotland at its stunning best

regards

Woody x

Edited: 23 May 2012, 11:02
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland Trip Planning.

The easiest distillery to visit when in Inverness is Glen Ord Distillery. Dalmore Distillery is also close by, maybe a bit more fun to visit as it's Indian owned. A short driver further north will take you to Tain and Glenmorangie Distillery. Driving on you'll get to Dunrobin Castle just a few mile before you hit Brora where Clynelish Distillery is located.

I also recommend spending as much of a day as possible on Skye.

Bengaluru...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland Trip Planning.

Thanks, Woodbark and WhiskyTraveller. I will factor this in as I finalize my trip.

Bengaluru...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland Trip Planning.

Hi - Wanted to thank everybody in this forum for your advice. We enjoyed our trip to the Highlands. We were able to cover a lot of what you had recommended. Enjoyed the trip immensely. The weather was a bit windy and cold towards the end of our trip - especially when we went to Chanonry Point. But overall very enjoyable. We did the Loch Ness, Tomatin and Culloden Battlefiield on the first day, a drive to Isle of Skye (Portree and Talisker distillery) via the Mallaig / Armsdale corssing and a drive to Cromarty via Chanonry Point on the third day.

Thanks once again for all your suggestions.

5. Re: Scotland Trip Planning.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Inverness