We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torridon - Inverness - Sunday lunch suggestions?

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Torridon - Inverness - Sunday lunch suggestions?

We will be travelling from Torridon on west coast to Inverness Airport on Sunday 15th July. Our hotel check out is midday and our flight is not until 6pm so we thought we would stop off along the way. The most direct route appears to be A896, A832, A855, A96 etc.

If anyone has any suggestions for somewhere for a nice long leisurely lunch, preferably not too far from this route (my hire car does not have satnav) that would be great. Any other suggestions for places of interest/scenic spots at which to stop would be good too.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
22,034 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torridon - Inverness - Sunday lunch suggestions?

I'll keep thinking and what type of place are you looking for.......I'm thinking you might want to be closer to Inverness so that you know exactky how far you are from the airport.......a few miles detour would take you to www.thestorehouseathome.com/restaurant.php which is very popular with locals and tourists alike and where you can slo enjoy some seal watching.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torridon - Inverness - Sunday lunch suggestions?

Hi,

I'd recommend Whistlestop cafe in Kinlochewe (great freshly cooked food, interesting soups, salads, main courses, coffees and cakes. Interesting environment of converted village hall. There is an area with a wood-burning stove and leather sofas to spend a few hours if you wish.

Or how about Ledgowan Lodge, at Achnasheen. Stunning interior to this traditional hunting lodge hotel. More traditional bar style lunches.

It is a glorious drive - enjoy!

Abs :)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torridon - Inverness - Sunday lunch suggestions?

I presume you need to be at the airport by 4 pm?

Strathpeffer is near enough that you don't need to worry too much about subsequent travel time. It's in the Black Isle - with Dingwall and Fortrose as alternatives.

It was a Victorian spa town hence contains a few nice buildings. I haven't been there in some time so I'm not going to quote ancient history by suggesting a venue; but you'll get the idea from http://www.strathpeffervillage.org.uk

But that's probably a bit late for lunch, it's more a place to stop for tea and cakes.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torridon - Inverness - Sunday lunch suggestions?

We need to be at aiport at 5pm so may have time for a couple of stops en route. Thanks for the suggestions.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,034 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torridon - Inverness - Sunday lunch suggestions?

When did Strathpeffer move to the Black Isle lol ;-) (if you were to go to the Storehouse/Seal watching then you would drive through Strathpeffer before heading to Dingwall and then on to the Storehouse before taking the A9 across the Cromarty Bridge and Black Isle to Inverness)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Torridon - Inverness - Sunday lunch suggestions?

Strathpeffer. It is an attractive village with Victorian spa-style hotels on the hillsides. There used to be a great chocolate shop / cafe (Maya), but that has closed. If the weather is good it would make a reasonable place to stop and stretch your legs. However there is very little there in terms of cafes anymore. Poppies restaurant is reasonable and I think there is a cafe at the museum. Otherwise you will be left wandering around hoping that a hotel will serve you a cuppa. I have been there done that (recently), believe me!

My advice would be to stop at one of the places I have already mentioned (Kinlochewe/Achnasheen) for lunch, then drive on towards Inverness. If the weather is good a wee walk at Rogie Falls would be great.

walkhighlands.co.uk/lochness/Rogiefalls.shtml

There is some attractions nearby to the airport - Fort George and beaches near Ardersier make fun attractions.

Abs :)

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,034 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Torridon - Inverness - Sunday lunch suggestions?

Maya and their fabulous chocolate have moved to Strothers Lane in Inverness http://www.mayachocolates.co.uk/

p.s. We also like the Ledgowan Hotel :-) http://www.ledgowanlodge.co.uk/?page_id=9

8. Re: Torridon - Inverness - Sunday lunch suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2013, 10:15