We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Tours from Inverness to Skye & Orkneys - September 2012

Which Inverness hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day Tours from Inverness to Skye & Orkneys - September 2012

My wife and I will be in Inverness from Sept 18 through the 21st. We want to see the Isle of Skye and the Orkneys. Was hoping to take full day tours out of Inverness for both destinations, but that late in September, some of the options to Orkneys are limited. Would prefer not to rent & drive, but would do so if necessary. Would also be willing to fly into Kirkwall if that gives good options for Orkney tour. Suggestions please?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,678 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Tours from Inverness to Skye & Orkneys - September 2012

I think flying is the only sensible option if you want to see a bit of Orkney. Be met at the airport by someone who will show you, and interpret, the main sights.

I'm not sure why you don't consider staying overnight on Skye or Orkney, as it will give you so much more time.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Tours from Inverness to Skye & Orkneys - September 2012

Day tours?

By car, the quickest route from Inverness to Portree, and assuming no delays, takes 2 1/2 hours. A bus would take longer. In practice there are places you'll stop at, and there will be trucks and caravans to overcome, so you'd probably allow 4 hours. So most of your day has been eaten up just by going there and coming back.

It is the drive you want or do you want to do things when you get there?

thehebrideanexplorer.com/Isle_of_Skye_Tours.… might give you what you want. For most companies September is just within season - October is more difficult.

paisley
Level Contributor
2 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Tours from Inverness to Skye & Orkneys - September 2012

If the weather is good take the train from Inverness to Kyle of lochalsh. Scenery is spectaculAr. Takes about an hour to reach there. You can take local bus from there to Skye or you can walk across the Skye bridge.

Or go to plockton which has a train stop on the Kyle line.

I went to Kyle of lochalsh in march . Not to be missed.

orkney
Level Contributor
99 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Tours from Inverness to Skye & Orkneys - September 2012

I agree with peterscot - fly into Orkney (stay overnight if you can) and book a local Orkney driver guide to meet you off the flight and take a guided tour.

This will give you a great overview of these beautiful islands within the limited time you have available.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Tours from Inverness to Skye & Orkneys - September 2012

Thnak you. We have decided to fly into Kirkwall from Edinburgh and spend a couple of nights. Thereafter, we will travel the bus and ferry to Inverness for a day and then an all day tour of Skye. Will train from Inverness to next destination - York.

Arbroath, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Tours from Inverness to Skye & Orkneys - September 2012

Dinna bother. Prince Charlie couldn't wait to leave.

7. Re: Day Tours from Inverness to Skye & Orkneys - September 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 09:16