We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B - Keep Out During the Daytime Policy

South Uist, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
B&B - Keep Out During the Daytime Policy

My wife and I arrived at a B&B just outside Inverness on Friday to find a notice in the room which stated that the premises had to be vacated throughout the day from 10.00 am to 5.00. When we asked the Landlady for clarification she stated that she worked during the day (this was apparently also the reason why breakfast finished at 8.00, even at the weekend). When I explained that I was recovering from a brain haemorrhage and needed to rest in the afternoon, she shrugged her shoulders and said 'they are the house rules'. Consequently, we had to leave - late in the evening - in search of alternative accommodation. (Incidentally, the Landlady slammed the door of her room in my face when I informed her we were leaving).

We have been holidaying in the Highlands and Islands for a number of years and have never met this situation before. We feel that the Landlady should have made her policy clear on her website or least mentioned it during the booking process. Are we right to feel aggrieved?

Level Contributor
3,425 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: B&B - Keep Out During the Daytime Policy

leuca, you keep saying 'it's in the title' but where in the title does it state that the B&B owner alone can dictate the hours that guests can use the beds they've paid for?

---

Because entering into a contract to use the room, you agree to terms and conditions, and access to room times is amongst those. If you don't like them, don't agree to them.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: B&B - Keep Out During the Daytime Policy

GEJP

This thread is worn out now so I won't prolong it

If a b and b owner doesn't want guests in their home during the day then that is up to them

They call the shots

They should make it very clear that that is the case before accepting a booking

Will they get much business ???

Would I book such a room, not if it was for a few days , but if it was just for one night yes probably. Arrive early evening, leave early morning no problem

I would also take into consideration the location and type of property and what my needs were.

If I was convalescing and really needed to have access to the room during the day for a nap or a shower or whatever then I would take it upon myself to make that clear when I made the reservation.

As the thread has shown us sometimes bed and breakfast can mean just that

A room to sleep in OVERNIGHT ,breakfast next day and cheerio.

The owner can make the terms and conditions to suit , as long as you are aware of them at the time of booking, then you are correct, you accept them

If the T&Cs don't suit you then don't book that place.

I agree

Edited: 03 September 2012, 09:10
Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,326 posts
Save Reply
63. Re: B&B - Keep Out During the Daytime Policy

Nowhere on their website could I find that information, so if I'd turned up to that same antiquated attitude, I'd have been straight out the door again.

Can anyone find that T&C on their website?

Did notice this statement, however, but they seem to have left out the word 'not'.

"Come and Enjoy Our Beautiful Country - You are Welcome in our Home"

Edited: 03 September 2012, 12:13
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: B&B - Keep Out During the Daytime Policy

It isn't there

The OP was right to feel aggrieved

But perhaps if he had said he was convalescing from a serious condition hen he might have been offered one of th self catering cottages which might hae been more suitable if available

Yes very antiquated but best to check it would seem

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,881 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: B&B - Keep Out During the Daytime Policy

"we decided to spend the day in our room, in our pjs, watching Sharpe dvds on my portable DVD player."

Blimey, Cornwall must have got boring since I was last there !!

Or is this a euphemism for something else ?

Those Australians, eh ?

Edited: 03 September 2012, 16:42
London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
66. Re: B&B - Keep Out During the Daytime Policy

So it's not 'in the title', it's in terms and conditions they may or (as in this case) may not exist. The title 'Bed and Breakfast' is by itself totally neutral as to how long the guest can use the bed for.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: B&B - Keep Out During the Daytime Policy

Whatever

I think this thread has not got the legs to go around again

I think we all know what to expect when we book our accomodation.

Be it a caravan bed and breakfast, guest house, pension, tourist hotel, spa, country house hotel, croft, farmhouse, three , four r five stat accomodation.

They are all classified as to the facilities they offer

I think we all understand that

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: B&B - Keep Out During the Daytime Policy

Which ones can you definitely stay indoors ALL day

If you think all of thenpm then better check first

You might end up aggrieved like our OP

Never assume

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: B&B - Keep Out During the Daytime Policy

"we decided to spend the day in our room, in our pjs, watching Sharpe dvds on my portable DVD player."

Blimey, Cornwall must have got boring since I was last there !!

Or is this a euphemism for something else ?

Those Australians, eh ?

-----------

Nah, no euphemisms LOL we were just bloody well buggered and needed a day off :) ('we' is my sister and I).

Cornwall boring?? Never! We're heading back to England next week (next week!!! crikey the time has flown since we booked our flights and accommodation) and we're spending a fortnight in Cornwall this time because we love it so much :-) (along with a week in the Lakes, a week in/around Chester, a week in/around Stratford-upon-Avon, then our Cornish fortnight and lastly a fortnight in Kent. We'll got a car booked, so we'll be here, there and everywhere during our 7 weeks. Are we excited? Is the Pope Catholic? :-)

70. Re: B&B - Keep Out During the Daytime Policy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 07:18