We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orkney Day trip

Blaxland, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Orkney Day trip

Aussies travelling around Scotland, England and Ireland- we only have 3 days to see as much as we can. Would like to go on the Orkney day trip and would appreciate your opinions. Then off to Fort Augutus for a night and hopefully a cruise on the Loch if possible if not some information on the best road to go on to see the most of the Loch and surrounding scenery would be appreciated.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orkney Day trip

Yeah, why not?

Which ""loch"? There are several hundred. If its Loch Ness, try another one - it will be prettier, but with the same chance as seeing Nessie.

Inverness
Level Contributor
179 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orkney Day trip

There are day trips to Orkney from inverness they leave pretty early in the morning and get back later on in the evening but if its summer then the nights are bright til late. I think there are trips from the ferry in Orkney but you would need to check.

Peterscot. You might not believe in Nessie but please don't spoil it for others!

Loch Ness is pretty spectacular and why lots of visitors come to the highlands - yes there are shed loads of lochs but I would imagine that it is Loch Ness that is being talked about here.

I'm sure the loch the scenery and the highland hospitality will be memorable

There's a great wee place for photos right at the end of the loch at ft Augustus. If you take a wee walk past the abbey on the rd to white bridge/foyers. Its has a view that is fantastic

California
Level Contributor
462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orkney Day trip

Just a thought – You could fly. Husband and I flew from Edinburgh to Orkney on Flybe Airlines, spent a day and a half seeing great neolithic ruins and visiting Highland Park Distillery. We then flew from Orkney to Inverness. The flights were a great time saver.

Level Contributor
3,398 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orkney Day trip

2. He isn't spoiling it. Loch Ness is massively marketed compared to many far beautiful lochs in Scotland which are often overlooked because they don't have the millions of marketing Loch Ness does. It's important on these forums visitors are made aware of the better, more interesting options that exist.

You have as much chance of seeing Nessie if you went on holiday to Fiji as you do going to Loch Ness

Inverness
Level Contributor
179 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orkney Day trip

There's no doubt that Loch Ness has massive marketing but this person is staying at fort Augustus so have obviously done their research yes there are lots of amazing lochs in Scotland

My personal favourites are loch Carron and loch alsh

Where do you live btw?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orkney Day trip

I took a day tour with www.jogferry.co.uk and had one regret: that I'd not had more time to spend in Orkney. Overall a worthwhile trip if time is of the essence.

I too like Loch Alsh along with Loch Duich, both not far from Fort Augustus.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orkney Day trip

Loch Maree beats most lochs, hands down.

And as good a chance of seeing Nessie there as in Loch Ness....

Inverness
Level Contributor
179 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orkney Day trip

Peterscot your continual droning on about not seeing Nessie is becoming a bit boring you have made it plain what you think - unfortunately Loch Ness and Nessie are part of the Highlands that are important to people - lots of people!!! including the tourists, the locals and the national economy to name a few.

Like it or not Loch Ness draws in the tourists and sustains hundreds of jobs in my local community.

I love the Highlands and I love Scotland and I will happily give unbiased and informative information on these forums to those that want it, I am sure that everyone would appreciate this - the believers in Nessie and the non-believers!!!

so how about promoting the Highlands positively in order that visitors can make their own decisions and informed choices - I am a highlander born and bred and have lived either on the west coast or near to the city of Inverness all my life so feel that I am well placed to comment on the highland forums with up to date information and news. According to local sources there were 3 sightings of Nessie in 2011 - I am a believer, an most folk around here are!!!!!

Next you will be telling us all that Santa Claus doesn't exist either.

There's always a myth or legend to be had somewhere in Scotland!

Sliante!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orkney Day trip

I've never said Nessie doesn't exist. I'm just saying she's very difficult to see.!

I "promote" Loch Maree, Ullapool, Wester Ross, Arran, Lewis, Orkney, and that's just in the last couple of days. Are they not in the Highlands? Maybe spread the benefit of visitors, rather than concentrate it in one or two spots?

I doubt I put any "believers" off going to Loch Ness. They will go whatever I or anyone else says.

But it does sadden me that thousands of people will rush by miles of beautiful countryside, see Loch Ness and think that's all there is to the Highlands. That's why I often suggest alternatives. Cheers

10. Re: Orkney Day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 January 2013, 16:35