We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested drives out of inverness (1 driver, short 3 days)

Which Inverness hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested drives out of inverness (1 driver, short 3 days)

Hi. We are arriving Inverness via train on 22-June late afternoon, and would love your advice on our plans below. Plan 1 or 2? Or if you have other suggestions, we would love to hear. Also, I am traveling with my daughters and am the only driver. Is driving around the highlands with only one driver doable? Or are we better off basing ourselves out from inverness and taking day tours with the coaches/tour companies for 3 ladies? Oh...i know loch ness is touristy, but it is a must-do for my daughters...

Plan 1: Day 1, on arrival at inverness, pick up car and drive to Drumnadrochit via A82. Check in B&B. Day 2 – Check out. Visit Loch Ness exhibit, Loch Ness boat trip, Urquhart castle. Afternoon, take A831 towards Tomich, stop by Corrimony, visit Tomich, Plodda falls. Continue on A831 to Struy. Check in to B&B near Struy. A walk at Glen Strathfarrar?

Day 3 – check out. Head back to Inverness.

Plan 2: Day 1, on arrival at inverness, pick up car and drive to Drumnadrochit via A82. Check in B&B. Day 2 – Check out. Visit Loch Ness exhibit, Loch Ness boat trip, Urquhart castle. Afternoon, drive to Fort Augustus, Fort William toward GlenCoe. Enjoy sights at Glencoe. Should I stay near GlenCoe, Fort William or Fort Augustus for a night, before heading back to Inverness on Day 3?

Thank you in advance,

Angie

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested drives out of inverness (1 driver, short 3 days)

If you change your plan you don't need to keep on changing your B&B. Choose a good B&B in Inverness and make that your base. Much easier and more relaxing than changing all the time. Very good B&Bs are Inverglen and St Anns. Very good reviews on here.

You can do all the driving to Drumnadrochit and the Loch Ness Exhibition centre etc and then back via Struy to Inverness all in one day easily. I would leave out the boat trip on Loch Ness. Not a lot to see on that trip unfortunately. On your way back into Inverness if you drive into Beauly there is , just as you enter Beauly, a centre called A Taste of Scotland with a nice café / restaurant and a display of really good quality hand made Scottish souvenirs ( jewellery, pottery, woollen items, foods etc ). Make it day 2.

Day One arriving late afternoon then take it easy . Locate your B&B and settle in and then take a walk along the River Ness to a small area called the Islands. Attractive riverside walk. Choose a nice riverside restaurant for a meal. If you happen to be great fans of Queen there is the Bohemian Rhapsody show in Inverness on the 22nd. You will need to pre -book early.

Then if you are the only driver if you have driven on day 2 then all the way to Glencoe is too much for day 3 and is almost the same drive again. . Make it easier on yourself with less driving and more stopping and seeing and doing. You could drive east from Inverness to see Brodie Castle or Cawdor Castle ( Shakespeare's Macbeth connections ) and visit Culloden Moor and the visitor centre with short historical films and you can walk the battlefield if you wish.

I agree that Glencoe is an impressive area but there are lots around inverness that are lovely areas too and would make it a more enjoyable break for you.

Day 3. On a map find Dulcie Bridge. Drive from the Nairn area to Grantown on Spey via Dulcie Bridge. Fewer miles but still magnificent wild open scenery.

Good luck with your planning. There is so much that is worth seeing it is hard to choose.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested drives out of inverness (1 driver, short 3 days)

Ullapool would be a dood destination for a day trip by car. It takes less than an hour and a half from Inverness, the scenery on the way is great, and the town itself - though small - is an appealing sort of place with interesting shops and places to eat. Another twenty minutes or so driving north will take you to yet more stunning mountain scenery.

3. Re: Suggested drives out of inverness (1 driver, short 3 days)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 April 2013, 14:05
Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested drives out of inverness (1 driver, short 3 days)

A short drive from Inverness (less than an hour) would bring you south on the A9 to Aviemore and the road to Cairngorm Mountain with a ride on the funicular railway something the girls may enjoy? (and you!)

www.cairngormmountain.org/mountain-railways

The whole way up the road from Aviemore to the mountain is very scenic, passing Loch Morlich on the way, which actually has a lovely beach! There is also the Reindeeer Centre at Glenmore, which you will pass - you don't say how old the "girls" are but if they are interested in Nessie then perhaps they would also be interested in seeing reindeer?

http://www.cairngormreindeer.co.uk/

Its worth stopping at Rothiemurchus Visitor Centre on the way back down the road as it has a lovely gift shop and you can also enjoy some beautiful walks nearby at Loch an Eilein, have a snack at the cafe, hire bikes or maybe even go pony trekking (do they like horses?)

Have a look at the website

http://www.rothiemurchus.net/

You have picked the time of year when we get lots of daylight - its actually midsummer, so if the weather is good you will see it barely gets dark overnight at all which is also something you may find fascinating!

Have a good holiday

Woody x

Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested drives out of inverness (1 driver, short 3 days)

Thank you all for the suggestions. I didn't realise we could do the Inverness to Drumnadrochit to Glen Affric to Struy & Beauly loop in one day. That gives us another day to explore the beautiful highlands... both Ullapool n Cairngorm looks stunnning but my girls are horsey girls and reindeers! I'll love to see one. This trip is just too short. Thank you all again.

sydney
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested drives out of inverness (1 driver, short 3 days)

If they are horsey and you have time theres a great highland pony riding centre at rothiemurchus at aviemore they are so great there!!highly recommend! I think the taste of scotland shop in beauly has actually closed down now, unless its been taken over, it was all shut down in october 2012 when i last went past it. Glen Affric is stunning and you could definetly do the loop in a day. Just give yourself enough time to allow for the visitor centre and urquhart castle in drumnadrochit. There is quite a nice horse riding centre at drumnadrochit too(if u had time) the trek i did there took you right into the hills above loch ness with stunning views.....sorry to give you too much more to think about! Have an amazing trip!

Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested drives out of inverness (1 driver, short 3 days)

Thank you Sydneysider85. We have booked the Rothiemurchus by Horseback experience and are really looking forward to it! Will look into the riding centre at drumnadrochit if we have time.

Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggested drives out of inverness (1 driver, short 3 days)

Following Hardygeranium's wonderful suggestion, we have booked to go see Bohemian Rhapsody at Eden Court on the day of arrival at Inverness! Quick question please - is there a dress code to observe for the theatre? do we have to pack formal dresses for this? we were planning to be mostly in jeans and tees. Thanks in advance for help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggested drives out of inverness (1 driver, short 3 days)

No. Not formal. Casual as you like. No dress code. Hope the show is good.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggested drives out of inverness (1 driver, short 3 days)

Eden Court was refurbished a few years ago and is very nice for a night out. It's modern styled, rather than ornate traditional, and jeans will be fine to wear. Depending on timing you may find it convenient to eat dinner at Eden Court pre-show. The restaurant at Eden Court is really nice, and they offer 3 courses for £20 on their dinner menu.

Abs :)