We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

Which Inverness hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

I am trying to decide on a cruise that stops in Inverness. I have already posted in the main UK forum, but I thought I might get some additional advice on Inverness if I posted here specifically. The ship is docked for 10 hours, so we would likely have 8 hours (at most) to explore. To save money, we are trying to do as much on our own as we can. This port may be the only one where a tour or excursion from the ship might be required. The itinerary says Inverness, but I have heard from some that it might very well be Invergordon.

- What is there to do in the area that is accessible by public transit?

- Are there other nearby towns/villages that are worth visiting and can be accessed by bus/train? According to Google maps, there doesn't appear to be a lot in the area.

- Is some sort of tour required to really benefit from being in this area? We certainly don't want to miss out on something fabulous, especially because for the rest of our cruise, we will be primarily in cities and won't be taking any trips into the countryside.

Thanks so much for your help!

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,674 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

Okey dokey - Invergordon is NOT Inverness - that's the first myth exploded! I would reckon its about 20 miles between the two. Not that much in Invergordon - its a dock for cruise ships presumably because it has the depth for anchoring. With 8 hours to explore it certainly sounds like you have the time to visit Inverness which I think you would find to be a charming town with a picturesque river (Ness) flowing through it. Shops, riverside walks and proximity to Loch Ness(of monster fame!) You don't say what month of the year your cruise may be stopping but I am assuming summer which would give you a lot of daylight? I wonder if a tour operator like Jacobite which is based in Inverness would pick you up and show you around given that there might be a group of you which would make it worthwhile for them and cost effective for you - its certainly worth asking the question

http://www.jacobite.co.uk/

Depending on day of the week I suppose you could get a taxi pick up from the dock but its likely to be expensive. Does the cruise itself not offer on shore tours?

If you have the time I would definitely recommend a trip to Culloden Battlefield. Its steeped in history, is about 7 miles east of Inverness on a main bus route and has a magnificent visitor centre as well as gift shop, restaurant and battlefield walk for which your entrance ticket gives you an audio tour of the battlefield. Indoors the battle immersion film will leave you speechless and fair brought a tear to my wee eye!

http://www.nts.org.uk/culloden/

Apart from that there is just beauftiful scenery and even coming into Invergordon I think you will love it - I sailed from there with the QE2 to Southampton and I enjoyed it immensly

regards

Woody x

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,674 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

And just spotted this on the forum...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic

W x

Sorry that link doesn't work and can't delete it but look on the forum and you will see someoen asking a similar question which may help you decide...

Edited: 20 April 2013, 22:50
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

Woody, thank you for your lengthy response!

I was aware that Inverness and Invergordon were two separate locations - I just wasn't sure if the ship actually docks in Inverness. Inverness is what the itinerary states, but I have seen on this and different forums that ships often dock in Invergordon instead. The cruise is in mid-September, and we would be in Inverness on a Tuesday. The cruise line will offer shore tours, but we are trying to avoid them due to the expense, inflexibility, and often, misuse of time. They usually build in time for shopping and leisurely lunch, when we would rather be out actually seeing sights. Not to mention, we are trying to keep to a strict budget, so anything we can do on our own would be preferable. I wasn't sure if Loch Ness would accessible without a private vehicle or tour bus - can it be reached by public transit?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

Public transport - yes.

stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/…20.pdf where you'll see mention of no 17 and 19 buses passing through Drumnadrochit.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

Thank you, Derek G. Is there anything else accessible by transit?

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,674 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

Culloden Battlefield is also easily accessible by public transport from Invereness Centre and much more interesting than Loch Ness - unfortunately they are in opposite directions!

Buses to Culloden Battlefield leave from the Queensgate, Inverness city centre. Leaving 1 min to the hour. Number 3. Timetables are subject to change please check www.stagecoachbus.com

W x

Edited: 22 April 2013, 10:02
Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,674 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

BTW - AFAIK - Cruise ships never dock in Inverness - its just not deep enough!

;-0

W x

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

http://www.spacoaches.co.uk/spa_2013_003.htm

Yes it will surely be Invergordon and not Inverness.

Some years ago my parents used a company in nearby Strathpeffer called Spa Coaches and always said what a good and considerate company they were. They may do you a mini-bus tour for a small group.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
44,913 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

Invergordon is definitely the cruise dock for Inverness. There is a railway station in Invergordon, but I'm not sur ehow convenient it wiould be for the ship, and anyway, I doubt the timetable would be convenient for the cruise ship arrival and departue times, as there are trains to Inverness at 0723 and 0944, but the returns arrive at 1530 or 1804 (Mon - Fri times).

I think I would be tempted to do a ships tour or stay in the Invergordon area if it were me.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,674 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

Couldn't you just arrange a private mini bus hire and all club together to make it cost effective? It would be a shame just to stay in the Invergordon area - nice though it is??

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/invergordon/…