We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterproof boots necessary?

Albany, Oregon
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Waterproof boots necessary?

I am planning a trip to Scotland next May and going with Scottish Tours and their Highland Highlights. I am planning to bring light colored walking shoes...very comfortable, but being so light, I am afraid that if there are muddy places....I will find them....and although this wouldn't normally bother me....after Scotland I am heading to Paris....and really don't want to walk Paris in horribly soiled shoes...no matter how comfortable. I am traveling with only carry-on luggage, so I don't have much room to work with. I have seen a pair of foldable boots to cover my shoes, but I don't know if I will really need them. I can treat the shoes to repel stains, but that only works kind of...sort of...halfway well. And buying something while in Scotland is an option, but probably pretty expensive for just a week. The Highland Highlights tour goes on several day trips from Inverness to places like Isle of Skye, Stirling Castle, Glencoe, Cairngorm Natl, Park, John O'Groats, Loch Ness, Applecross, etc. Thanks for any words of wisdom you can share as they will be greatly appreciated.

WOW Scotland
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Distillery Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
The Hebridean Explorer
Cultural Tours, Distillery Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Happy Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Distillery Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterproof boots necessary?

If you are just taking day trips by organised coach tour then I assume you won't be doing any serious walking, in which case you should not need waterproof boots.

Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterproof boots necessary?

This the one?

You will be spending quite a lot of time either in the vehicle or visiting particular locations where the bus will drive you pretty much to the door. If it rains there will be puddles in car parks. Much the same applies in Paris, and I suspect that is going to be the sum of it regarding muddy footwear.

If it's cold and muddy in Scotland, then hot and Sunny in paris, why not buy a cheap pair of sandals?

Albany, Oregon
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterproof boots necessary?

Thanks so much for the reassurance. I do appreciate your time.

4. Re: Waterproof boots necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 06:18