We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Culloden and Cawdor

Vonore, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation to Culloden and Cawdor

My husband and I will be in Inverness in June and would like to go to both Culloden and Cawdor by public transportation. I have found bus service to both places separately, but is there a way to get from one place to the other? Thanks

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
556 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to Culloden and Cawdor

Perhaps you have thought of this tour

invernesstours.com/a02-culloden-cawdor-castl…

There is the Stagecoach site info as well

stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/…20Inverness.pdf

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to Culloden and Cawdor

I assume by Cawdor you mean the castle? Allow yourselves a good 2 to 3 hours at Culloden and maybe 2 for Cawdor although I still haven't managed to visit the castle and I only live 25 miles away!!

Public transport can be a bit of a pest but I would have thought it would be on the same route and that you could maybe do Cawdor first and come back to Culloden on the way back to Inverness. The alternative would be to hire a car and then you could also visit the very beautiful Clava Cairns which is close to Culloden.

Woody x

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to Culloden and Cawdor

I'm not getting much luck with bus timetables because June, being summer, isn't on the schedule yet! Basically its about 5.5 miles from Inverness to Culloden Battlefield and another 8 to Cawdor village, so its not far. Would you consider getting a taxi from Inverness? - I wouldn't think it would be too expensive although you would have to make sure he came back for you!

I have found this info on the Castle and Battlefield websites which you have probably already seen and it pretty much answers your question - not much really!

Rent a car, get a taxi or take Strath's advice and book on a tour I'm afraid.

W x

By Bus – Between 1st July and 16th August, a bus service is available from Inverness to Cawdor Castle. The Tourist Trail Timetable which includes routes 13A and 13C to the castle runs Mondays to Fridays and the timetable is available on www.stagecoachbus.com for bus times and information or by telephoning us on 01667 404401.

Buses to Culloden Battlefield leave from the Queensgate, Inverness city centre. Leaving 1 min to the hour. Number 3. Timetables are subject to change please check www.stagecoachbus.com

Edited: 06 January 2014, 16:27
Vonore, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to Culloden and Cawdor

Thanks for the info., I will check it out.

5. Re: Transportation to Culloden and Cawdor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 05:19