We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Cawdor Castle

VA
Level Contributor
65 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Cawdor Castle

Is it possible to get to Cawdor Castle from Inverness by public transportation?

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
556 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Cawdor Castle

This one was asked recently

Depends when you go stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/…20Inverness.pdf

For the full thread tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186543-i626-k70…

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Cawdor Castle

And I think the answer was no but I can't understand why! I might phone the T.I.C. in Inverness tomorrow and get a definitive answer!!

Edited: 23 February 2014, 16:22
VA
Level Contributor
65 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Cawdor Castle

Thanks Strath 101. I should have said when we'd be there - late August or early September. I had seen that Tourist Trail bus schedule, but as it's only good through Aug 16, we're out of luck. I was hoping that there was some service, probably limited, after mid-August. How far is the entrance to the castle from the village of Cawdor?

VA
Level Contributor
65 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Cawdor Castle

Thanks woodybark. I look forward to your letting us know what the TIC says.

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Cawdor Castle

The entrance is very close AFAIK. The entrance for cars is slightly uphill going out of the village on the back road but not sure if there is another (pedestrian) entrance.

W x

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Cawdor Castle

Sorry forgot to phone. Will try to do it tomorrow and report back!!

Woody x

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Cawdor Castle

OK - just phoned the T.I.C. in Inverness and the lady said there is NO transport to Cawdor Castle, you need to have a car to get there. You could get a taxi from Inverness which would be about £15 (one way!) Another option would be to get the public bus to Nairn (a lovely seaside town) and then get a taxi from Nairn which is much closer. The bus timetables change again in May and she said to check back then to see if there have been any new services put on.

It seems ridiculous I must admit and she agreed. To think that transport to the Castle hasn't improved since the days when it was built when people presumably arrived on foot, horseback or in a horse drawn carriage.

Sorry!

Woody x

VA
Level Contributor
65 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Cawdor Castle

Woodybark - thank you so much for your research. It is a big help.

9. Re: Getting to Cawdor Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 04:19