We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting, fun atmospheric place for dinner in Inverness

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting, fun atmospheric place for dinner in Inverness

Maybe I've been influenced by what we watch on TV but is there a local watering hole/restaurant where it's friendly, warm where the locals gather to sing, eat, drink? The food has to be good Scottish, of course! I hear there is a place near the castle but can't remember where I read that. Any recommendations?

Also, any rec's for good seafood?

Anything else we shouldn't miss while in Inverness?

We will be there mid April. We will have a teen in our group.

Thank you,

B

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,075 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting, fun atmospheric place for dinner in Inverness

Not sure about which restaurant you read about but lots of locals like The Mustard Seed.

Probably the most interesting historical attraction for tourists is Culloden Battlefield visitor centre which is just east of the town .

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting, fun atmospheric place for dinner in Inverness

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g186543-Invern…

Personally I would say that when people eat out they don't tend to go for Scottish food unless it's more fine dining. That would suggest somewhere that's not a gathering eating, drinking, singing place but something more formal. I think you are probably looking for more of a pub which serves food and has live music? I think McGonagalls used to have music...perhaps Goanjock can help?? I have eaten in The Mustard Seed and it's very good but I don't think it's what you are looking for. Have a look at the list on the link I sent you at the top.

Woody x

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting, fun atmospheric place for dinner in Inverness

http://www.blackfriarshighlandpub.co.uk/

Any use ??

You also shouldn't miss Clava Cairns, Culloden Battlefield ( big anniversary coming up) and perhaps Fort George and Brodie and Cawdor Castles nearby too. The village of Findhorn on the coast is very pretty.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/nort…

Woody x

Edited: 27 March 2014, 11:31
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting, fun atmospheric place for dinner in Inverness

Thank you for the posts!

Woody, yes, you hit the nail on the head. Black friars seems like the place! We will try it out. Thank you for that. And thank you so much for the sightseeing tips. Was at a loss. We were supposed to stay in fort wm, after Edinburgh, but had to switch to inverness. Our driver/guide ( driving us from Edinburgh to Inverness) says that Inverness is scant in things to do/see -- compared to FW. I was looking for a tour for one of our days. I really appreciate your help. Will look all that up. While you're here, is there anything, movie theme wise, to see in the area? My daughter loves HP, Brave and Skyfall. Thank you!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,075 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting, fun atmospheric place for dinner in Inverness

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1478744-i20074-…

This is not the Inverness area but if you are driving back south you could think about this location to keep your daughter happy.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting, fun atmospheric place for dinner in Inverness

Skyfall Is A82 at Glencoe (some scenes filmed there)

For HP visit Glenfinnan Viaduct. What about the steam train from Ft. William to Mallaig?

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/glenfinnan/…

You mentioned seafood in your OP. The Kimberley Inn at Findhorn Village or The Captain's Table are great for all things fishy

X

Inverness, United...
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interesting, fun atmospheric place for dinner in Inverness

http://www.hootanannyinverness.co.uk/

Hootanannys can be good depending what music is on.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interesting, fun atmospheric place for dinner in Inverness

Thank you, Woody. We will pass by those places on the drive from

Edinburgh. Hopefully we will hv time to get out of the car to take pics.. Unfortunately that Jacobite train will not be running in April.:( Will it be far to back track on one of our days in Inverness? Will look up the seafood restaurants. We won't have a car though.

Happy girl, hmmmm.... Sounds interesting. Thank you for the link. I looked up the word "Ceilidh" which I keep seeing. That sounds fun and kind of what I was looking to experience. What do they mean by " Scottish session"? We may find ourselves there during the wkend.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interesting, fun atmospheric place for dinner in Inverness

In the Highlands things will still be brown and a wee bit sad looking as regards Spring having sprung. Unless we get high temperatures and wall to wall sunshine before mid April, things will still be in the early stages of budding and flowering. What I'm trying to say is that you will not be seeing Scotland at its very best although it's always special as far as I'm concerned. Bring warm clothes as well as hats and gloves but throw in some t shirts as well !

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interesting, fun atmospheric place for dinner in Inverness

Woody,

You must be reading my thoughts. The weather and what to pack has been on my mind. We were in Lugano last month so no worries about the slightly less than perky conditions. We are happy to finally get to visit Scotland. I think Inverness will be fun and relaxing. We have an apartment by the river right in the centre of town. We will rest and walk around. Another day will be for my husband and daughter to bike around. If only I can find someone to take my dad fishing. And then another day we will find a tour to see what you recommended.

Thank you for all your help and advice. If you think of anything else, please sing out. I'm compiling notes and things for Inverness and Edinburgh today.