We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night's stay in the Inverness area, but not in the city?

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
152 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
One night's stay in the Inverness area, but not in the city?

In August I'm driving past Inverness, and will be spending a night in the area. Can anyone recommend a small town or village with character, maybe within 15 miles of the city, that would be a nice place to stay for the night, please? I'll be coming up from Edinburgh, then continuing on the A9 until turning off on the A835.

Many thanks

Alex

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,843 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night's stay in the Inverness area, but not in the city?

Its only a slight detour (but a pretty drive!) come off the A9 at the sign for Grantown on Spey then A95 to Grantown then A939 to Nairn( across the Dava Moor - lovely views) where you should be able to find accommodation for the night - although it doesn't have a lot of character (!) Nairn does have a lovely little marina, two nice beaches and some lovely walks. I can recommend the Class Room in town for a meal.

http://www.theclassroombistro.com/

Then you are straight back on the A96 to Inverness and beyond in the morning.

Otherwise somewhere pretty like Rosemarkie/Fortrose which is across the river but not too far off track.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/rosemarkie/…

It is only 35 minutes drive from the likes of Aviemore or Grantown on Spey to Inverness BTW. Aviemore village is not scenic but the surrounding area is beautiful.

What about a night in the Boat Hotel in Boat of Garten nearby which isn't too far off route?

http://www.boathotel.co.uk/

regards

Woody x

Edited: 27 April 2014, 12:39
Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
152 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night's stay in the Inverness area, but not in the city?

Thanks Woody. I like the idea of the detour, but actually prefer your idea of spending the night in the Boat of Garten area. We spent many family holidays staying there, and although it is a little further from Inverness than I ideally want, as the drive the next day is a long one, it would be lovely to stay there again for the first time in many years. Maybe an evening drive around Loch Garten, to Tulloch Moor, then to Loch Morlich - sounds great!

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
1 post
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night's stay in the Inverness area, but not in the city?

A really cool place to stay is Castle Stuart about 6 miles north of Inverness. It is a restored 17th century castle that belonged to the Royal House of Stuart.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,843 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night's stay in the Inverness area, but not in the city?

Better book ahead...I think it may be busy. What a coincidence you already knew of it!

Enjoy your stay. I always look with envy at the people enjoying a cooling drink below the stunning hanging basket displays they have outside during the summer.

W x

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
21,107 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night's stay in the Inverness area, but not in the city?

I had some idea's and questions but after reading the thread it sounds like Woody has found the perfect solution for you ;-)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night's stay in the Inverness area, but not in the city?

I think it's closed for refurbishment isnt it?

Try Castle Tulloch, Dingwall. Insist on their gorgeous best suite which is enormous and has a view that is pretty wonderful. Some of the other rooms have had mixed reviews but the top suite is very luxurious at much less than you'd pay at Castle Stuart. Oh... you might be advised to haggle.

I recommend a nice walk in the adjacent woods before breakfast. Think I may have reviewed it on trip advisor. The castle, that is...

7. Re: One night's stay in the Inverness area, but not in the city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Inverness