We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Scottish Highlands for 3 days

Manchester, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Scottish Highlands for 3 days

We have 3 days to spend in Scottish Highlands. Plan to visit some picturesque locations and soothing scenery. Please advise on locations which are unique. Is isle of skye a must or can we skip that and stay in inverness for 2 nights and drive around? Also advise on any value BnBs will be useful.

Arriving Edinburgh on Friday at Noon and want to get back to Glasgow on Sunday night.

Thanks

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Scottish Highlands for 3 days

Which month?

I assume you know you can fly to Inverness from Manchester and hire a car at the airport saving you a bit of a drive, but probably not money!

I think the consensus of opinion on here is that Skye is a must but you only have 3 days so I don't think you can do it justice and it's a long day trip from Inverness.

It's pointless recommending accommodation because if you are coming soon the best places get booked up fast. I would recommend perhaps staying within the Cairngorms National park somewhere like Aviemore and minutes from beautiful scenery, lochs and mountains

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/aviemore/aviemore…

If you are keen to visit Inverness you can do so on a day trip from Aviemore, it only takes about 35 minutes.

http://visitcairngorms.com/

Regards

Woody x

Manchester, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Scottish Highlands for 3 days

Thank you for your message. We are planning in end of June.

If you suggest isle of skye is must then we can skip Inverness. I was thinking that we will not be able to do both so was trying to gauge which one is better?

Thanks again

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,187 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Scottish Highlands for 3 days

Whether Skye is a 'must' depends mainly on what you want to see and do.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Scottish Highlands for 3 days

Given your timescale I would say that Skye is too far.

From Edinburgh you are looking at 5 - 6 hours driving so an early evening arrival on Friday with only one full day on the island itself.

Manchester, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Scottish Highlands for 3 days

I am thinking doing the following:

Edinburgh to Fort Williams. Reach there in the evening. Stay Friday night at FW. On Saturday do a day trip to Isle of Skye upto Portree. Stay Saturday night in FW. Look around in FW including Ben Nevis and get back to Glasgow on Sunday evening. As we just have one day in Isle of Skye, could you please suggest the must sees there and things to do in and around FW.

Thanks

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Scottish Highlands for 3 days

Fort William (singular) is not the loveliest of towns.

As for must sees on Skye that is up to you. What has made you want to visit Skye?

As I said before given the timescale I personally wouldn't bother.

Caterham, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Scottish Highlands for 3 days

We spent a little under a week in Scotland recently and spent three nights staying just south of Fort William, at Inchree, in a pleasant and cheap little chalet with a stunning view over Loch Linnhe.

We decided Skye was too far to spend any decent time there, and had already spent a lot of time in the car, so we visited places which where not too far - along Glen Nevis for some awesome walks, Mallaig by train from Fort William (train ride scenery is stunning!) and out to Oban for lunch one day. Fort William itself is useful for supermarkets etc, but I wouldn't suggest spending any real time there, get out in the scenery!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
20,559 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Scottish Highlands for 3 days

Fort William might not be the nicest of towns but anywhere within a 15/20 mile radius (including Fort William itself) makes a fantastic base to explore the Western Highlands from.

On the original question on a 3 day trip Skye isn't a must see (although it is fabulous) and I would be tempted to have one base especially if it is your first trip as there are loads of options for day trips from the likes of Inverness (or the Fort William area for that matter).

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Scottish Highlands for 3 days

Fort William itself may not be beautiful but I think the lochside setting is pretty spectacular for anyone seeing it for the first time, especially if the sun is shining and the loch is calm. It is certainly worth basing yourself in or around it for your short stay for the convenience of places to eat or shop.

Woody x

Manchester, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Scottish Highlands for 3 days

Thanks everyone for some great suggestions. Any recommendations on hotels or BnBs around Fort William area. Also, any scenic areas we could visit on the way from FW to Portree for a picnic and hike.

Thanks