We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inverness holyday

Zurrieq, Malta
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
inverness holyday

I m coming to inverness in early January I plan to drive to john o grot and around the highlands.

is it safe to do ? will I be putting my self and my family in danger of any kind ?

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,511 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: inverness holyday

You could be, are you used to driving in bad weather, ice and snow, and dark from 9am to 4pm? Personally I wouldn't do it, and I think it is a bad plan for someone from Malta.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 09:15
Zurrieq, Malta
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: inverness holyday

I m use to drive in have rain and floods some time we do get that in our winters but I never drove on ice an snow.

where can I go in the highland s with d car in January ??

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,511 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: inverness holyday

It depends on the weather, some winters there is little snow at all, sometimes the roads are impassable, there is no way of telling until the day before.

Does it have to be January?

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: inverness holyday

There is no telling what the weather will be like at that time of year, but rain, snow, ice and fog are all possible. As is glorious sunshine.

What is it in Scotland that you wish to see? Why the highlands?

There is plenty of stunning scenery, if that is your thing, much further south.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: inverness holyday

At that time of year you may get snow and ice but it's more likely to be just dull and cloudy and maybe rainy. Impossible to predict though. If it were me I think I would prefer to do shorter day trips at that time of year because there is a good chance that at the end of the day with the sun going down about 4pm that I will be driving in the dark.

You can still see a lot of impressive countryside if you stayed in Inverness and did day trips from there.

You don't say how many days you have.

Zurrieq, Malta
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: inverness holyday

I think that day trips are a good idea. but I will do some driving for the time we will be there.

thanks for your feedback

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,511 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: inverness holyday

Are you flying into Inverness? I would book all my accommodation there and hire a car, then do day trips that you can decide on the day, as that is the only way you can know the weather.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: inverness holyday

I would make one of the day trips to Aviemore.

If there is no Snow in Inverness you are likely to find some up the Mountain on the Funicular Railway.

http://www.cairngormmountain.org/

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: inverness holyday

Just see what the weather is like and as has been mentioned there are many trips you could do from Inverness (to be honest there are so many nicer drives than the road to John O Groats especially if it is your first visit).

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: inverness holyday

When I said day trips I meant trips out for the day with you driving your hire car. By your response it sounded as if you were talking about coach trips but I think you will struggle to find companies doing that in January. But as others have said too, there are plenty of good places to see within an hour or so of Inverness. And if the weather is very bad, too bad to enjoy driving, then Inverness has a theatre, cinemas, ice skating rink , very good shopping centre and other activities as well that you can do.

Get answers to your questions about Inverness
Recent Conversations