We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to East Mids to Inverness 4 nights break - yes or no?

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
484 posts
297 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to East Mids to Inverness 4 nights break - yes or no?

I am thinking about driving from the East Midlands to take a 4 night break in Inverness in the last week of August.

I have researched the journey - 9 hours looks likely without stops.

Whilst I would really like to visit Inverness and have the chance to do so, I am in two minds as to whether or not this would be a good plan.

I would really value any views before I book hotel accommodation for this last minute trip.

thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to East Mids to Inverness 4 nights break - yes or no?

Personally I wouldn't even consider driving all that way for 4 nights. You're right in that it will take at least 9 hours without stops so there's half you holiday gone in the car! Have you looked at options to fly?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,809 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to East Mids to Inverness 4 nights break - yes or no?

Too far for me. Can you fly and hire a car from Inverness?

Abs :)

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to East Mids to Inverness 4 nights break - yes or no?

It's a long way to drive, might be worth researching flights or train. We recently did a similar length journey -. train Birmingham to Aviemore, two nights in Aviemore, train to Aberdeen via Inverness, two nights in Aberdeen, then a flight back to Birmingham. It was a lovely break (we had the bonus of fantastic weather) and didn't seem too hectic or too much travelling. But I wouldn't have contemplated driving it!.

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,772 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to East Mids to Inverness 4 nights break - yes or no?

Flybe does flights from Birmingham to Inverness. You could be in Inverness by lunchtime, pre book a hire car at the airport and on you go.

It's a small airport and you would be out and away in your car in about 30 minutes after landing.

That's what I would do.

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Caribbean
Level Contributor
77 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive to East Mids to Inverness 4 nights break - yes or no?

I do this trip nearly every year to visit my parent's in Birmingham and my Brother who lives outside of Inverness, I have driven in the past but have always broken up the trip and stay overnight, the last few years I have flown up to Inverness from Birmingham and then rent a car it is easier and less stressful. The area is beautiful and I always find something new to see and do every year I visit.

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive to East Mids to Inverness 4 nights break - yes or no?

Nine hours is about right - I often travel Edinburgh to Nottingham and a car takes about seven hours. Add two or so for Edinburgh to Aberdeen. I only ever use the car when I plan to spend a day or two with family in the north of England on the way. It's a pretty soul-less journey along the M1/A1/A9. Taking the A68 provides a couple of hours' detour over upland country and fine views, but it's not without hazards so requires an attentive driver. The cost of driving is not insignificant, either.

I agree with others - rail or fly, pick up a hire car at the other end, and enjoy a longer, more restful, break.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive to East Mids to Inverness 4 nights break - yes or no?

9 hours is going slow. I used to travel from Wolverhampton to Inverness for the weekend, and was roughly 7 hours.

It is a beautiful drive north of Perth through some amazing scenery

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive to East Mids to Inverness 4 nights break - yes or no?

You must have a very heavy right boot. Wolverhampton to Inverness is roughly 450 miles so 6 1/2 hour at an AVERAGE speed of 70 mph. If you can do that on UK roads, even at the weekend, you must be closely related to Lewis Hamilton!

9. Re: Drive to East Mids to Inverness 4 nights break - yes or no?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 06:17