We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of Skye / Loch Ness as day trips from FW?

Texas
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Topic
Isle of Skye / Loch Ness as day trips from FW?

I am planning on visiting Loch Ness, Isle of Skye and riding the Jacobite Steam Train in middle July of this year. My initial plan had me staying in cities in Skye, and by the Loch and Fort Williams. However, I was starting to look at the map, and it looks like I may be able to base out of Fort Williams and make day trips to Loch Ness and Isle of Skye. The Loch Ness certainly looks manageable for one day, but I'm worried about being able to do Skye in another day. Would it be possible to get from Fort Williams up to Dunvegan castle and back in one day? I've sure that if I did constant driving it would be possible, but we would like to visit Dunvegan Castle and spend some time wondering the castle grounds.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isle of Skye / Loch Ness as day trips from FW?

<<<Would it be possible to get from Fort Williams up to Dunvegan castle and back in one day? >>>

Possible, yes; desirable, unlikely.

I don't know what the scenery is like in Texas, but driving in that part of Scotland, I am forever wanting to stop and take in the views.

Also, I am not aware of what is so attractive about Fort William that would want you to spend more time there than you need to.

If you found somewhere to stay on Skye you could have 2 or 3 relaxing days driving around the countryside and stopping at castles that caught your eye.

Staying in FW means at least 2 long driving days to get back to somewhere you have already seen.

Your route is almost a circular route - Inverness, Skye, Mallaig, Ft William (or reverse). I suppose it depends on whether you are taking the Jacobite train one way or return, and where you are starting from......

One option might be to drive to Mallaig after the train trip, and get a late ferry from Mallaig to Skye. Continue around Skye and spend a day or so there. Then on to Inverness via the bridge at Kyle of Lochals or the wee ferry at Glenelg (scenic).

Hope this doesn't make life complicated for you. I just don't think the Highlands are good for long day driving trips.

www.calmac.co.uk for ferry information.

www.theaa.co.uk for journey planning. It says it is 43 miles Ft William to Mallaig and takes 1.5 hours. Last ferry is at 6.30, 2.5 hours after train arrives back in FW.

Texas
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Isle of Skye / Loch Ness as day trips from FW?

Peter,

There is nothing, aside from the Jacobite Steam Train, that draws us to Fort Williams. The value of Fort William is in it's location. I am traveling with a group of 5. I could plan to stay one night in each town along our drive, but I'm thinking that the constant packing / unpacking, loading/unloading the car each day would get tiresome very fast.

So, if we could find a town that is centrally located to areas we want to see, then we could make day trips, and not worry about the constant moving. If the day trips aren't manageable from Fort Williams, then I will proceed with my original plan of staying in tows close to areas we are visiting.

David

on the road in...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Isle of Skye / Loch Ness as day trips from FW?

Fort William is a great base for everything you want to do. The only trouble is you will be very tired at the end of each day. But then again the is not much to do in Fort William, so an early night is not such a bad thing.

Personally I would do 2 nights in Fort William with your day trip to Loch Ness and the Jacobite tribe and 1 night Skye. Skye is such a beautiful place that it really should not be rushed.

Hope this helps.

Texas
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Isle of Skye / Loch Ness as day trips from FW?

Ltoni,

It's funny you mention that, because that was what I was thinking based on the other feedback.

David

Spean Bridge...
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isle of Skye / Loch Ness as day trips from FW?

Hello

Many people usethe village of Spean Bridge as a base for touring the areas you are thinking about. It is 23 miles from the pretty village of Fort Augustus at the Southern tip of Loch Ness. It is 100 miles (3 hours) to Dunvegan Castle. It is also only 10 miles from Fort William.

Have a look at this website for more information on this beautiful area http://www.highland-glens.co.uk/

on the road in...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Isle of Skye / Loch Ness as day trips from FW?

Spean Bridge is okay, but there is even less to do there than in Fort William, plus the choice of accommodations is much more limited.

7. Re: Isle of Skye / Loch Ness as day trips from FW?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 07:21
Get answers to your questions about Fort William