We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train ride over Rannoch Moor

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Train ride over Rannoch Moor

We're staying near Fort William again this year (Roy Bridge in fact), this year we're there for a whole week and looking at things to do with our 5 year old.

He's a big fan of the Gondola's on Aanoch Mor (apologies if I've spelt it wrong).

One thing we were considering is going for a ride on the train, last year we went to Malaig, this year we thought we'd try Rannoch Moor.

Obviously with a 5 year old we won't be going wandering on the moors, but is worth going for a train ride to enjoy the scenery? Also which station would be the best to go to, Rannoch station I would imagine has little there, so it would be Bridge Of Orchy or Tyndrum, I think there would be too little time ar Crianlarich before making the return journey

Garion

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,823 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train ride over Rannoch Moor

The scenery is as good as anywhere. Views across the expanse of moor to Ben Nevis and dozens of other high mountains.

Makes you feel small when you see the scale of it. No road is near it.

Tyndrum has good shops (eg Green Welly Shop) and restaurants. Bridge of Orchy has the BoO Hotel, which does good bar food and beer.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train ride over Rannoch Moor

If you could make it to Rannoch station, it's the only one that will allow you a foretaste of the eery R. Moor. It worths the train ride, and I would say it is worth to spend a little time there if you can, before catching your train back either to B. of O., or else. Mind you, there is little to do in the Bridge of Orchy hamlet, too. Good food at the one and only hotel there is, as pointed out by peterscot.

Spean Bridge...
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train ride over Rannoch Moor

Here is a suggestion

My family and i went down to Glasgow from our guesthouse in Spean Bridge on the early train and we found the hills really atmospheric at that time.

The train leaves Roy Bridge at 07:59 and gets to Rannoch at 8:37. It doesnt leave Rannoch until 8:42 (sometimes later if the London train is running late) if you want to get out for five minutes to sample the air. I would then recommend you get out at Tyndrum at 09:17 and have a bacon roll at the Green Welly restaurant.

Ypou can then wander round Tyndrum for a while and get the train back at 10:49 (later one at 14:51 if you need more time to go for a walk).

You could then get back on the train and go to Fort William (arrive 12:30) or stay on the train and go up to Mallaig again getting there at 13:56 and coming back at 16:10

Here is the link for the trains- look for the West Highland route

firstgroup.com/scotrail/…index.php

If you have a car ,at some point in your holiday i would recommend the following to keep your youngster interested - Kincraig Wildlife park near Kingussie/Aviemore and Landmark at Carrbridge (woodland park). We have taken our children there and they loved them both.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train ride over Rannoch Moor

I'd echo the point about an early morning train - we did that once - it was really atmospheric - a dear just sitting near the train line, and the sun coming up with mist around the bottom of the hills...

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,823 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train ride over Rannoch Moor

fifiporter - did anyone help the old dear ? Was she all right? What was she doing in the middle of Rannoch Moor on her own?

:-)

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train ride over Rannoch Moor

Hi, thanks for the replies,

I'd already got the timetable downloaded, hadn't mentioned the option of the 7.59 to my wife until this morning, her face was a picture I'll tell you, and she wanted to know if I'm mad.

She calmed down a bit, then considered the option to be a good one especially if the weather is nice, as has been said, it could be somewhat spectacular.

We did the trip to Mallaig from Fort William last year, we were staying at the Premier Travel Inn, so we saw the Jacobite train leave every day.

We watched it leave from the station, then got the local train later as the Jacobite Express was fully booked for about the next 8 days. The local train is cheaper and probably more comfortable, and you pull into Mallaig next to the steam engine, so all in all we thought that that was better than being pulled by the steam engine itself.

On our way up to Roy Bridge, we're stopping a couple of nights near Falkirk, go and see the Falkirk wheel, and a Days Out withThomas at Bo'ness for the little one.

We have already ordered Tesco vouchers for use at Landmark, in fact we've organised around £100 worth of vouchers for various days out.

It's looking like Tyndrum for breakfast at the Green Welly, and a little shopping for the wife to calm her nerves at being up so early whilst on holiday :-)

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train ride over Rannoch Moor

Thanks for all replies,

I didn't manage to get my wife up for the early train, but we did go to the Green Welly Stop for an ice cream and had a nice ride across Rannoch Moor.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, sometimes there seems to be more water than land, its quite a landscape, and well worth seeing the mountains from a different side too.

Garion

8. Re: Train ride over Rannoch Moor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Fort William