We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikers who have never been to the Glen Nevis Region

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,772 posts
372 reviews
Save Topic
Hikers who have never been to the Glen Nevis Region

Hi,

We will be there in October, the main reason is to climb Ben Nevis. We will be there for 2 full days. One of the days (weather permitting) will be Ben Nevis.

Can someone suggest another well known area in the same hiking area that we could tackle on day two?

Could you provide me with grid references or is there a website where these are available. I can read maps but like to have the grid refs available on GPS for safety

Thanks so much for help and if you ever need info on the Irish Hills don't hesitate to contact.

Mentioned in this post
Ben Nevis
Ben Nevis
1,887 Reviews
Fort William, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hikers who have never been to the Glen Nevis Region

I think you would do better to search for mountaineering websites, most of the people posting here have trouble finding their way between two tube stops or Heathrow and central London, let alone climbing up a great big lump of rock in the middle of nowhere!

Google will be your friend.....'ben nevis gps' gets loadsa hits :-)

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hikers who have never been to the Glen Nevis Region

nice one, Joe.

Bryno - try the walk at the very end of Glen Nevis... drive or walk til you reach the car park, and then follow the path in the gorge until it emerges onto Rannoch Moor. Stunning scenery all round. Not too strenuous, but rewarding.

Make sure all your group can navigate off the Ben in bad weather.

Mentioned in this post
Glen Nevis Restaurant & Bar
Glen Nevis Restaurant...
415 Reviews
Fort William, UK
Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hikers who have never been to the Glen Nevis Region

This might be of interest to you www.munromagic.com/MountainInfo.cfm…

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,772 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hikers who have never been to the Glen Nevis Region

Thanks Peter and MountainM, that was very helpful.

Thankfully I have no problems finding my way around anywhere (undergrounds, airports, major cities) once I have done a little research.

Peter and MountainM, if you are ever in Southern Ireland and want good hiking tips, make contact with me.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hikers who have never been to the Glen Nevis Region

Thanks Bryno, hope you enjoy Ben Nevis!

Mentioned in this post
Ben Nevis
Ben Nevis
1,887 Reviews
Fort William, UK
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hikers who have never been to the Glen Nevis Region

Hi

Good luck with the weather on the ben - apparently it is clear on average 60 days a year - hope it is for one of yours!

There are lots of options nearby.

If you are super fit, one of the best is the Grey Corries - just north of spean bridge - another long day, but a super ridge and great views - see dbethune.com/Mountains/…GreyCorries.html

There is also Glen Coe- the Buachaille Etive Mor is a lovely hill - with great views - and can either be quite short (if you just go for the northernmost top) or a longer day if you do the whole ridge.

If the weather is good when you are on the ben by the way, it is much more interesting to go via Carn mor Dearg and the arete which links it to the ben than to go up the so called tourist track - the views of the north face of ben nevis are stunning and you get a nice, narrow ridge to scramble across (if you like that sort of thing).

I'm afraid after I went up the ben (via the CMD) I decided that a day trip to Mallaig by train was more in line with my energy levels....

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Buachaille Etive Mor
Buachaille Etive Mor
43 Reviews
Ballachulish, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hikers who have never been to the Glen Nevis Region

Bryno,

Depending on how you are feeling after doing the ben will reflect the walk you do the next day, it isn't that difficult but can be a slog

The carn mor dearg route is definitely the bets one as opposed to the tourist track, the ridge is not too narrow but you are boulder hopping a lot of the way.

The walk that was suggested by petersot is a good un, from the top og glen Nevis walk up to the steal falls, 30mins on a well worn track, this brings you out into a beautiful alpine meadow with a 100ft water fall at the end. They used this for filming in harry potter films. From here you can cross the 3 wire bridge and head left to go up an Gearnagh. This is the first munto on the ring of steall.

Any walks round this area are beutiful(weather permitting!)

Have a look at the munromagic website for any other hill ideas.

Enjoy

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,772 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hikers who have never been to the Glen Nevis Region

Peter and LovesScot (and others), thanks very much, took your advice re Steal Falls and it was a great recommendation. On the day after our ascent of The Ben, it was nice to have a leisurely stroll.

We were so glad that our hike on Friday was one of the 60 days in the year that Ben Nevis has a clear summit. It was so good we were able to sit on top for an hour for a well earned break and of course a shot of Ben Nevis Single Malt.

I would love to go back to the Highlands again someday, but I will not stay in Fort William. We came across far too many grumpy people there who do not know the meaning of the word 'hospitality'.

Mentioned in this post
Ben Nevis
Ben Nevis
1,887 Reviews
Fort William, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
671 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hikers who have never been to the Glen Nevis Region

if you need good mountain weather advice - i.e when is there another clear day on ben nevis

check www.mwis.org

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
23,241 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hikers who have never been to the Glen Nevis Region

Glad you had a great time :-).......and yes that sounds like Fort William :-(

Mentioned in this post
Fort William