We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestion for small wedding in Scotland

Which Fort William hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warwickshire
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
suggestion for small wedding in Scotland

My fiance and I are considering getting married in Scotland.

There will only be the two of us, so an exclusive intimate setting would be preferable; perhaps with the ceremony and accomodation at the same location so that we can organise a romantic meal to follow and enjoy something of a honeymoon without having to pack up and move on.

As a starting point we had looked at the Smiths Hotel at Gretna (Penthouse package), but fear it may be not the peaceful location we had hoped for.

Now that we have looked into the option there does seem to be a lot of choice, but it would help if anyone could share their experiences with us.

Alternatively we are considering doing the deed in the west of Canada next year.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestion for small wedding in Scotland

Cameron House (de Vere group) is on the banks of Loch Lomond. They have a luxury cruiser on which you can get married. It can hold about 12 people, but 2 would be fine.

On hand would be a crew of 2, who could be witnesses, and dish up the bubbly, plus the registrar for the legal side of things.

Can't remember the price, but I won't forget the day in a hurry....

The boat's yours for the afternoon and the Loch is stunning. Peace and quiet in beautiful surroundings.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestion for small wedding in Scotland

An open question to all:

I am correct in saying that in England the marriage venue that has to be approved but in Scotland you can get married anywhere provided you have the appropriate legally appointed persons to conduct the ceremony?

If that is the case then you have a big choice!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestion for small wedding in Scotland

To answer that question - we had an extremely helpful local registrar from Balloch. She mentioned that there was a misconception that any venue could be used for weddings. There is a condition that it must be approved by the Registrar; and in my particular example, she herself approved the boat about a week before the wedding, as it had replaced the previous boat.

She mentioned that there was concern that some people might lower the dignity of the occasion by asking for weddings to be held in romantic spots or places where they had first met their loved ones. The vision of bus stops and chippies being used as venues, caused some concern amongst the registrar community.

Having said that, there is mention of some obliging Scottish ministers gaining the nickname of the "Reverend Martini".... (anytime...any place...anywhere.....)

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestion for small wedding in Scotland

Hi

You have loads of choice - for the official view on where you can get married in Scotland, have a look at gro-scotland.gov.uk/regscot/getting-married-…

I guess it partly depends on when you're planning on doing the deed - if in the spring/summer then somewhere with a garden etc could be good. Some ideas:

The national trust for scotland has over 20 wedding venues in interesting and characterful properties - most very large, but by no means all - see www.nts.org.uk/Functions/ for ideas - although Mar Lodge is a large building it has small apartments too.

For hotel ideas, Monachyle Mhor is a lovely hotel with good food and a v. peaceful location. See http://mhor.net/even-mhor/ for details. If you are thinking of the north, I haven't stayed there but having eaten there, could be tempted by Flodigarry House hotel in Skye www.flodigarry.co.uk

Hope this helps....

Macduff, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestion for small wedding in Scotland

I can recommend this place. It's beautiful

aboutscotland.co.uk/central/kilmaronockweddi…

Here's a quote from their brochure

" Ishbel welcomes couples and their family and friends for special occasions and weddings at Kilmaronock House and Castle.

Set in informal gardens and lawns around the ivy-covered ruin of 15th century Kilmaronock Castle, the house and grounds are available for a small number of private special occasions tailored exactly to meet your needs so please discuss with Ishbel anything that you would like."

You don't need to hire the whole house. You can just have a room. The rooms and setting are to die for.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestion for small wedding in Scotland

We were married in Scotland in November and had just us and 2 others. It was a great place to gt married and we didn't let a silly thing like weather determine where we got married. We were actually married on Loch Ness on a sailboat with Urquhart Castle ruins in the background. It was wonderful and if you'd like any specifics, just let me know. There are great places in the highlands to get married and it will be unforgettable.

Loch Ness
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestion for small wedding in Scotland

Hi There

In Scotland - for a secular wedding the venue has to be licensed, but religious ceremonies can be held anywhere (within reason and agreement of the celebrant).

BUT - Scotland is also one of the few places in the world that recognises Humanist ceremonies and treats then the same as a religious ceremony (eg binding and legal...and almost anywhere!)

I got married in 2007 with a humanist ceremony in my back garden in the Highlands( and it was wonderful!) and the reception in the local village hall.

I can't recommend it enough! It gave me and my husband exactly what we wanted - a joyous, dignified, friendy and, for us, honest wedding.

Neither of us are religious so getting married in a church / with a priest, for us, felt hypocritical and disrespectful to those who actually have that kind of faith (and alot less fun!). As for a registry office wedding - hmmmmmm - and licensed venues were not an option due to me not seeing the point of spending silly money (all the more to spend on Bubbly!)

Here is the link if you are interested - weddings should be an intensely personal day for you both - so whatever you choose to do have a fabulous fabulous day!

humanism-scotland.org.uk/ceremonies/weddings…

Good luck!

8. Re: suggestion for small wedding in Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 07:18